If other people have access to your email account, they may get in without your permission. People may gain access to your account if they have your password.
Note that hacking is not the same as spoofing. If your account has been hacked, you are likely to find emails in your Sent folder even though you did not send them. If your account has been spoofed, you will not find any strange emails in your Sent folder.
How to Know If Your Account was Hacked
1. If people you know claim to be receiving emails from you even though you did not send them
2. If you find lots of MAILER-DAEMON rejection notices for unknown messages
3. If you cannot find your Address Book contacts
4. If your Sent, Inbox, Deleted, and Spam folders have been deleted
5. If you find strange messages in your Sent or Drafts folder
6. If you keep getting bumped offline even though you are signed in to your account
7. If you are prompted to prove that you are not a robot by getting CAPTCHA when trying to sign in to your account
8. If you find unknown contacts in your Address Book
9. If emails that you used to send are refused and returned to you
10. If your Display Name seems to be changed
11. If you have an email signature link that you did not add
12. You are no longer getting new mail
What Should You Do If Your Account is Hacked?
1. The first thing to do when your account is hacked is to change your password. Your password is your first line of protection so it should be strong and unique.
2. Change your Account Security Question
3. Install antivirus software. If you already have one, update it. Run frequent scans to keep your computer free of malware
4. Check your display name and make sure that it does not have the letters 'AOL' or 'aol.' If spammers access your account, they may change your Display Name causing you to see error messages whenever you try to send an email
5. Review signatures that you use for AOL mail to make sure that hackers haven't added spam
6. Review Away Messages tied to your account and make sure that a hacker has not added inappropriate content or spam
7. Contact the AOL customer support team and ask for help. They will help you recover your account if you are having any trouble. If you have trouble changing your account, the support team will help you.
If You Receive Spam Emails From Your Own Email Address
If you receive spam emails from your address, it may be due to spoofing. It is a technique that spammers use to send spam while hiding their identity. Follow these steps to fix the problem'
1. Report the mail
2. Change your password and use a strong and unique one
3. Delete your email address from your Address Book
4. Scan your computer to get rid of malware
If you need help from AOL, you must contact the support team. You may contact AOL in various ways. The best way to contact AOL is on the phone. AOL will connect you to a support representative who will give you a solution depending on the nature of your problem. Another option to speak with a representative is on live chat.
The AOL help desk has plenty of tips and suggestions that may help you deal with your concerns. Use it to seek help for your problem before contacting the support team directly. AOL does not offer support on their Facebook or Twitter.
After thousands of AOL customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together What Do I Do If My Aol Account Was Hacked? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting AOL if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like AOL in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our What Do I Do If My Aol Account Was Hacked? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
After helping consumers for 10 years, we realized that you need an impartial, live person you can talk to about comparing the various TV, cable, Internet and phone plans in your area- somebody who can compare the best deals across telecom providers. So we created a free concierge service you can call at the phone number below.Call Toll-Free: 888-379-2546Our service is unaffiliated and thus can compare plans across many providers