Not happy with your purchase or did you find a suspicious charge from Amazon? We'll show you how to get your money back.
Many questions come up when you see charges on your Amazon account that you do not fathom. Was my identity stolen? Has someone been using my credit card? Do I call Amazon or my credit company first? The above and many more are questions you may be asking yourself. It is comforting to know that you can dispute unexplained charges to your Amazon account.
Unexplained transactions are not always a matter of fraudulent activity. It may be that a loved one used your account without your knowledge and/or consent. You may also have forgotten to cancel subscriptions you no longer use. Whatever the case, you should not rush to make foregone conclusions.
A transaction can disputed for a myriad of reasons not limited to but including:
- Unexplained charges on a credit card or bank account
- A mistake in the Amazon Pay transaction
- An item was paid for but was not received
- The item was received but was drastically different than advertised
- The amount charged to the credit card, debit card or bank account was different from the amount stated in the confirmatory email by Amazon Pay
Any issue meeting the above descriptions qualify for a charge dispute and issue can be taken up with either the merchant or Amazon Pay.
The first thing you should know is that it is much easier to dispute a charge with the original merchant like Amazon than with a financial institution such as the credit card company. Amazon can resolve the issue of unauthorized charges through a refund or another option. More often than not, disputing a charge involves an issue with Amazon Pay. Transactions on Amazon Pay are often seamless but there are steps you can take if you have a dispute.
Contact the Merchant
Amazon Pay only facilitates transactions between merchant and customers. Contacting a merchant to resolve a dispute involves taking the following steps:
- Go to Amazon Pay and select 'Shoppers'
- Use your Amazon details to log in.
- Go to your 'Account Activity' page and search for the relevant order or transaction
- Once you find the order select 'Details'
- On the 'View Orders' page you will see an option 'Contact Merchant'. Select the merchant's email address and proceed to send them details about your order
In the email, it would be prudent to submit the necessary information including
- Order details such as the list of items in the order
- Price of items in the order
- Delivery information
- The exact nature of the order's issues
- Your favored resolution for the dispute
Not all issues can be reconciled with the merchant. If this is the case, you can dispute the charges with Amazon Pay.
Disputing a Transaction with Amazon Pay
Here are the steps you can take to resolve a dispute with Amazon:
- Go to your 'Account Activity' page and proceed to log in
- Select 'Details' for the relevant order or transaction
- On the 'Order Summary' page, there will be an option, 'Problem with this order?' Click it
- Select "View/File Claim'. If the option is not available, follow the instructions presented on the page to file a complaint
- Fill in information about the transaction and submit. The information will include the date of the order, amount of the transaction, the order ID and a clear description of the problem.
After you submit the online dispute resolution form, Amazon's customer support team will investigate your complaint. It can take as long as 45 days to complete the review. It is crucial to note that Amazon can contact you during this period to obtain additional information about your dispute. These steps should help you resolve any issue with Amazon.
After thousands of Amazon customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How do I dispute a charge with Amazon? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Amazon if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Amazon in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How do I dispute a charge with Amazon? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.