You thought you found a great job so you worked hard to advance, only to be let go for no reason? Or maybe you had your hours reduced to the point you can't make rent? What do you do? Why not apply for unemployment benefits? This guide will show you how to apply with the Arizona Department of Economic Security.
1. You need to have lost your job or had reduced hours due to no fault of your own.
2. You would need to have had enough income during the base period.
3. Benefits cannot be backdated so you must apply within a week of your last day, if not sooner. Your claim is made effective the Sunday of the same week you submitted your claim.
4. For the most part, you must be ready, willing, and able to look for and accept work. There may be times when this changes so it's best to visit the DES website for more information.
What Information is Needed
1. Your social security number and Arizona driver's license or state-issued I.D.
2. Your mailing address including city, state and zip code. You also need to know the name of the county you live in if you reside in Arizona.
3. Your 18-month employment history, including names, complete mailing addresses and phone numbers and the last day you worked before filing your claim.
4. Any received payments for severance, vacation, sick day, or holiday pay, along with the gross amounts and date you were paid.
5. If you were a union member, then the name and local number of your union hall.
6. Alien registration number if you're a non-U.S. citizen.
7. A copy of your DD-214 member 4 if you were part of the military anytime during the last 18 months.
8. If you worked for the federal government anytime during the last 18 months, you need either an SF-8 or SF-50.
9. Those who collect a pension need to provide the monthly benefit amount and the start date.
10. If you would like your benefits direct deposited, your bank account information will need to be included, or you could opt in to receive your benefits on a Prepaid Debit card issued by Bank of America.
Ways to Apply
1. You can apply by mail, fax, phone or online. Please note that to apply by mail or fax, you would need to download and print out a copy of the UB-105 form. The fax numbers and mailing address are on the form.
2. You can also apply online at des.az.gov and click Unemployment Benefits under Employees, then Apply for UI Benefits. Keep in mind that the online service is available starting from 12 a.m. Sunday until 6 p.m. Friday.
3. You can also call them with their phone number here Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m.
After You Apply
1. You will need to file weekly payment certifications.
2. You will also receive three different documents within a week of applying; a guide to benefits, your wage statement and a Certificate of Understanding. The certificate needs to be signed and returned by mail or fax, both of which are on the form.
3. If more information is needed on your part, you will receive a questionnaire to fill out and send back.
After thousands of Arizona Department of Economic Security customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Arizona Department of Economic Security? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Arizona Department of Economic Security if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Arizona Department of Economic Security in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Arizona Department of Economic Security? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.