How Do I Dispute a Charge with

If you made a reservation with and found a charge on your bill that you believe is a mistake, you can dispute the charge to get your money back. To start the dispute process, contact the customer service departmenr. If that doesn't get you your refund, you can initiate a chargeback dispute with your bank. Lastly, you can file suit against in small claims court.

When you make a reservation with, you will see all the rates and fees you can expect explained to you first. Therefore, nothing on your bill should be a surprise. However, if you did find an unexpected charge then there are a few different potential reasons for it, ranging from extras like room service to somebody in the billing department making a simple mistake. If you believe that this charge was a mistake then you should dispute it if you want to have a chance of getting a refund.

First of All: Collect Evidence to Support Your Case

If you want to get your money back, you should collect any evidence you can that could support your claim about the charge being a mistake. As an example, if you were charged for a reservation that you didn't actually make, pictures of you at a different location at the time of the reservation could help. As another example, if the charge is for some kind of damage done to the property you stayed at, and the damage was already there before you arrived, find someone who saw that damage to call as a witness. Make records of conversations between you and employees about the charge.

Next: Dispute the Charge with

After getting the evidence together, start the dispute by talking to a representative at's customer service department. Tell them about the charge and why you believe it was a mistake. The representative you speak to might be able issue a refund, but they also might need to get help from a manager or someone even higher up. The dispute process could take some time to complete, so be patient.

After That: Take Your Dispute to the Bank

If won't issue a refund for the charge, the next thing to try is taking the dispute to your bank. A dispute with a financial institution about a charge the institution processed is referred to as a "charge-back." After initiating one, your bank will investigate your claims. If it determines that the charge was made in error, it will give you a refund.

Remember: you have to start the dispute by talking to someone at Tripadvisor. You can't just start by initiating a charge-back. Your bank won't let you.

To initiate the charge-back, talk to a customer service representative at your bank and explain why you believe the charge was a mistake and should be refunded. Tell them what you have already done to dispute the charge. This charge-back process will also probably take time to complete.

During its investigation, your bank might give you a provisional credit. This is a refund you can use while it completes the investigation. However, if your bank determines the charge is not due a refund, you will have to return it.

Lastly: Sue in Small Claims Court

If none of the previous steps work out for you, you can file suit against in small claims court as a final resort. You can find the rules for filing a small claims suit on your jurisdiction's website.


Contact a customer service agent to begin the dispute process. You can get hold of one by phone, by email, or on the help forum.

Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Dispute a Charge with"?

After thousands of customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Dispute a Charge with to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Dispute a Charge with guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.

Asked 3 months ago
Updated 3 months ago
Viewed 190,558 times
dispute charge chargeback dispute

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

we have booked a hotel room in Instambul but unfortunately we will not be able to check...
iv been charged on my netspend card to a hotel in new york i live in salt lake city the...
I was charged by you $** and some change and had to pay at the hotel $** will i be gett...
I've been trying to get my money back for * months now
I went to Red Roof Inn confirmation **********, $***.**. We saw a bed bug and left with...

Paying Too Much for TV?

After helping consumers for 10 years, we realized that you need an impartial, live person you can talk to about comparing the various TV, cable, Internet and phone plans in your area- somebody who can compare the best deals across telecom providers. So we created a free concierge service you can call at the phone number below.

Call Anytime: 888-379-2546Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals across many companies
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!