Capital One, an American bank holding company, is a popular choice with many consumers. While there are many benefits to owning and using a Capital One credit card, you may find that you need to close yours. This can be accomplished in a few simple steps. If you need any assistance with this, reach out to Capital One.
It's important to make sure you pay off your outstanding balance before you take the necessary steps to close your Capital One credit card. You should also check your reward points to determine if you need to redeem any before your account is closed. You also need to make sure you no longer have any recurring payments or transfers associated with your Capital One credit card.
If you want to close your credit card via mail, you simply need to do so using the information provided for you when you receive your monthly statement if you haven't chosen to enroll in paperless billing.
An easy way to close your Capital One credit card is to do so via your phone.
1. Make sure you have all your personal information handy to ensure you can answer identity verification questions.
2. Call the customer service number which can be found on either your monthly statement or the back of your credit card.
3. You'll be connected with a customer service representative who will be able to assist you with closing your account.
One of the quickest ways to close your Capital One credit card is to do so online.
1. Go to capitalone.com.
2. Using the username and password you used to set up your account, log in to access your information.
3. Select View Account from the credit card you're interested in closing.
4. The next thing you need to do from this screen is choose "I Want To..." which will take you to a pop-up menu.
5. From the pop-up menu you'll be able to choose "Close Account" from the list of choices.
6. You'll be asked to check a box stating why you want to close your account.
7. You'll then be asked to verify your identity.
8. You'll next be able to finalize closing your account.
If you have any questions or need any help with these steps, contact Capital One.
You can also close your account using your app.
After thousands of Capital One customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Close My Capital One Credit Card? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Capital One if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Capital One in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Close My Capital One Credit Card? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.