Carfax is a web based service that supplies vehicle history to individuals and businesses alike. The company was founded over 30 years ago and has been providing information on used cars and light trucks to Americans and Canadians ever since. Carfax reports are the vehicle equivalent of credit reports for people.
Despite their reputation and experience in the field, Carfax are not yet perfect. There may be issues from time to time with the reports they generate.
Carfax generates their reports based on information from multiple sources including insurance claims and police reports. The reports then state the worthiness of the car for purchase. Therefore, a mistake on a Carfax report may be as a result of incorrect information obtained from the various sources.
Some users of Carfax have reported that they have bought vehicles with clean reports on Carfax only to find that the car was riddled with damages. The other side of the coin involves car owners complaining that the Carfax reports on their vehicles are not consistent with evaluations done elsewhere.
The good news is that you can ask Carfax to correct a report whether you are a car owner or buyer on Equifax.
Requesting a Correction to a Carfax Report
The best method to use to notify Carfax of an error in their vehicle history report is through their online data research request form. The form can be used by both individuals and businesses.
You can fill the form through be following these steps:
1. Launch your web browser and go to the Carfax website
2. On the top of the landing page, you will see several white tabs against a blue background. Click 'Help'
3. You will be redirected to the Carfax help page. You will see help articles categorized by topic. Under 'Report Discrepancies' click 'Request a correction to a Carfax report'
4. You will be directed to the form page. Input your name and email address. Select 'My report has an error' when asked to choose an option
5. Check the box if you are the current car owner whose report is erroneous
6. Input your location details as prompted
7. Under 'Inquiry Details' state what area of the report you would like researched and proceed to explain your request in detail. You will also be asked how you obtained the Carfax report
8. Upload any documents you possess that will help your case. The attachments limitations are described there too
9. Check the box that states you agree to Carfax's terms and conditions after reading them
10. Click 'Submit' to send the form.
The above form is akin to send an email to Carfax albeit with better structure and more specific details. You can also follow the Carfax help page to send a general inquiry form about your Carfax report. The procedure is very similar to the above process.
The other ways through which you can request the correction of a Carfax report are:
You can also initiate a chat with Carfax's customer care representative and let them know of the mistake on your report. The live chat option is quick and effective. Ensure you have your report and all other necessary details ready before you initiate the chat.
You can find the link to the live chat facility on GetHuman.
Carfax customer support also has an email address where you can raise general issues about any Carfax service. The email is always available so feel free o send a message at any time. You can use the email if you do not have access to the Carfax help page.
You can obtain the email address from GetHuman.
After thousands of CarFax customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Can You Dispute a Carfax Report? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting CarFax if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like CarFax in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Can You Dispute a Carfax Report? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.