Coinbase is a digital currency exchange in California. It brokers exchanges in Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, and Ethereum Classic with flat currencies.
If you have lost access to your Coinbase account, you can recover it in a few simple steps.
If your Security Key Isn't Working
This is a problem that many Coinbase users may have to deal with at some point. Try these steps to resolve the problem;
1. Clear the cache and cookies on your browser
2. Take the key out of the port and put it back again. A light should appear on the key
3. Close your browser and try opening it again
4. Ensure that your key supports U2F/WebAuthn standard
You may update your security key by following these steps;
1. Use your password, username, and the 2FA code from your old number to sign in to your account
2. Navigate to the 'Security Settings' page
3. Click on the option 'Manage' next to your security key name
4. Click 'Remove' for the key you want to detach from your account
5. Use the 2-step authentication method to add your new security key
Recovering Your Email
If you can no longer access the email address associated with your Coinbase account, you must initiate a recovery process. Follow these steps to update your email address;
1. Use your old email address and password to sign in
2. Enter the two-factor token
3. Click on the option 'I no longer have access to my email address'
4. Enter your new email address
5. Coinbase will send an email to your account. Click on the blue button in the email
6. Enter the two-factor authentication code as usual and select your ID type
Activating your email address may take 48 to 72 hours. Coinbase takes this long for security reasons. It is impossible to recover your email if you don't have access to the phone number associated with your account. It may also be impossible to recover your email if the two-step verification is not enabled.
If Your Account is Protected via SMS Tokens
If you can't access your email address and your account is only protected by SMs, you may initiate your recovery by following these steps;
1. Create a Coinbase account with a different email address
2. Add a phone number and verify it
3. Add and verify the bank and credit cards you have used before
4. Upload a clear photo ID to your new account
5. Contact the support team and ask them to help you reset your account. The steps are meant to verify your ownership of the previous account
Recovering a Lost Password
Being unable to get into your account because of a lost or forgotten password, you can recover it following these steps;
1. Visit the Coinbase password reset page
2. Enter the email you wish to use for account recovery
3. Click on the option 'reset password'
4. You will receive an email with the link to reset your password
5. Open the new password page and change your password
6. Click on the confirmation button to complete the change
Working with Coinbase, you want everything to go according to plan. Using a 2FA account authentication gives you confidence that your account is safe. If you do not keep your account safe, you may lose your currencies. Change your password if you suspect that other people may be accessing it.
The best way to contact Coinbase if you need support is on the phone. You will be connected with an agent to guide you depending on your problem. You may also seek support on email or the help forum.