Consumer Cellular is a well-known mobile virtual network operator that works alongside AT&T and T-Mobile to offer coverage. The wireless provider offers no-contract mobile phones and service plans mainly to people aged 50 and above. Consumer Cellular was established over two decades ago with the belief that all people should have affordable reach to cellular services.
If you've ordered a consumer cellular phone, you might be wondering about the activation process.
Similar to many other network operators, Consumer Cellular offers its own phones, which are available from its online site. The devices range from flip phones to smartphones and the prices vary according to what one wants.
You can activate a Consumer Cellular phone online or by phone. If you've asked for the assignment of a new number by the network operator, your phone will come when it's already activated.
On the other hand, if you're porting or transferring your number from another carrier, you'll need to activate it. Follow the process below:
1. Log into "My Account" and choose "Activate Your Equipment"
2. Follow the requested steps to finish the activation process
3. If you're unable to follow the steps, simply call Consumer Cellular using a different line, and the activation will be done for you
Consumer Cellular makes the process of switching a number from another network as easy as possible. You'll only be required to offer a few details, and the transfer will be done within 24 hours. It's a hassle-free method, because you'll get to maintain your current phone number, and won't have to notify friends and family about a new one.
Moreover, if you don't want to get a new phone, you can connect a phone you already have to Consumer Cellular service. The network will send you a SIM Card with the activation code. However, your phone should be unlocked by the former provider and have GSM network technology compatibility. The Consumer Cellular SIM card usually works with devices used on the AT&T or T-Mobile networks.
Once you are done with the activation process, you ought to receive the APN settings. The APNs are necessary for internet and MMS. If you do not receive the settings, contact the Consumer Cellular customer care team.
Once you receive the APN settings, follow the steps given below to program them into the phone:
1. Go to Settings>>More>>Mobile Networks>>Access Point Names>>Menu
2. Click on "Always Create a New APN" and enter the exact APN details you received on your phone into the APN field
3. Save the information and Restart your phone
4. Open your internet browser and test the connection. Also try to send some photo messages too
1. On the main menu, head to Settings – Cellular
2. Ensure that you have switched on your Cellular Data
3. Navigate into Cellular data network.
4. Input the exact Consumer Cellular APN settings straight into the Cellular data field
If you're successful, you should have the ability to enjoy a fast internet connection under a Consumer Cellular data plan. However, if you experience problems, don't hesitate to call Consumer Cellular Customer Support.
No, Consumer Cellular does not charge any fee activating its phones and SIM cards. The free activation applies to new, replacement and upgrade cellular purchases. Customers also get free shipping on top of the free of charge activation. The free activation and shipping live up to Consumer Cellular's mission to offer customers affordable access to mobile convenience.