Experian is an American credit reporting company that operates globally. The company collects data from over a billion individuals including 235 million members of the US population.
Experian collects data from individuals from multiple sources and uses the data to come up with comprehensive credit reports. Experian then charges customers for the credit reports which have many applications including getting personal loans and financing for businesses.
Mistakes do happen from time to time and occasionally you can find a mistake with the information on your credit report. In such a scenario you are obligated and compelled by Federal law to file a dispute about the inaccurate information on your credit report.
Viewing and disputing your Experian credit report is easiest done online through Experian's dispute center. You can correct a flaw in your Experian credit report using the following process:
1. Start a fresh dispute from the dispute center. The dispute center has information and tools to help you understand the dispute process. All you have to do is click the 'Start a new dispute' tab to review your credit report and pick the item you want to dispute.
2. Evaluate your report. Your report is categorized into four sections namely: Personal Information, Accounts, Inquiries and Public Records. Each section contains descriptive details and you can click the dispute button for a specific if the details are wrong.
3. Choose a reason for your dispute. There is a drop down list with reasons for disputing the credit report and details about the reason. You can explain the reason in the comments if there is none in the list.
4. Evaluate the items you have included in your dispute request and either add or omit details. You can also provide documents supporting your dispute. Once you are done click 'Submit' and await a response from Experian.
You can dispute credit report information from Experian through their website by following these steps:
1. Launch your web browser and open the Experian website
2. Log in to your account
3. Go to the Experian help page
4. Locate and click the 'Disputes' tab
5. Click 'Start a new dispute online' and follow the prompts to filling the dispute form
6. When finished click 'Submit'
You can send Experian a letter to their corporate headquarters and dispute information on your Experian credit report. It is one of the slowest but surest methods to use.
Do not send mail unless all the other options have been exhausted or the correction is not urgent. You can find the address on their website.
Calling the Experian customer care phone number is the best way to dispute inaccurate information on your credit report. You will not only get to speak to a Experian customer service agent who will review your request with you on the line but you will also get immediate feedback about your request.
The hold time on the line is about 20 minutes and the line is available on weekdays from 8am to 5pm EST. you can obtain the number from GetHuman.
Sending an email is another great option for disputing a credit report from Experian. Their email support address is always active and can reply to your email at any time of day or night.
However, it is slower than making a call and they usually reply to an email in about 38 hours. An email does afford you a lot of space to address the incorrect information on your credit report.
You can retrieve the email address from GetHuman.
The Experian online help desk is a surprisingly quick way to dispute information on a credit report from the website. The issue is typically fixed in 3 hours which makes the help desk only second to the phone number.
You can find the help desk's address on GetHuman.