What Do I Do If Greyhound Lost My Luggage?
Going on a trip is most always an adventure, but things can turn for the worse when you lose your baggage, and there's items you need in there. The best thing is not to panic and try to carry a spare in your carry-on. Then submit a missing luggage form as soon as possible so there's no delay in finding a resolution.
Taking a bus instead of flying or driving has its advantages. You're not the one driving, there's a possibility of making a new friend and you get to see the scenery during your trip. There are some disadvantages too. You don't get to take a break when you want and there's the baggage issue. You might lose your luggage or it may get damaged. What do you do? This guide will advise you of the basics of Greyhound's baggage policy and lost baggage procedures.
- The only type of baggage Greyhound won't be held accountable for is carry-on baggage. Travelers need to keep an eye on their own carry-ons, even during a rest break.
- For checked baggage, including excess and overweight or oversized, you'll need the baggage tag you were given when you checked your bags. Normal sized bags are reimbursed up to $250 per adult ticket and $125 per child ticket and cannot be reimbursed for amounts higher than that unless you bought baggage insurance through Greyhound.
- Excess, overweight and oversized baggage are reimbursed up to $250. Any value above this amount can't be paid unless you paid the declared baggage charge. Even then, the most that can be paid is $1,000.
- If part of your route is managed by one of Greyhound's Partner bus lines, their policies may be different. Be sure to check their website before your trip.
- It's recommended to purchase baggage insurance through Greyhound, that way you decrease your chances of needing to interact with more than one company in case of a problem.
- You have 30 days from the date you arrive at your destination to file a claim form and 7 days from when you receive damaged baggage or something was missing for a baggage claim.
- Claims are usually resolved between 30 and 90 days starting on the date Greyhound receives your claim form.
- For damaged claims, Greyhound will need to inspect the item before processing the claim. For missing items, Greyhound will do their best to locate the baggage in question but if they haven't found it within 15 days after you submitted your missing baggage form, they will treat it as a claim while they will still look for your missing baggage. This is in case they need to start the claims process any they will write you with any updates.
How to file the form
- Go to greyhound.com and sign in, then go to the Help and Info topic and click on lost or damaged baggage.
- Clicking on the plus signs next to each Lost or damaged baggage topic will give you more information on what to expect.
- When you have reviewed their process, scroll to the Making a Claim section and click on baggage claim form.
- Here, you will need to provide your first and last name, contact phone number and email address, the city and state of origin and destination, travel date, ticket fare number, the under the bus tag number, confirmation and description.
- Click Submit when done. For any other questions, select the contact us option under Help and Info, or call them here.
Why Did GetHuman Write "What Do I Do If Greyhound Lost My Luggage?"?
After thousands of Greyhound customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together What Do I Do If Greyhound Lost My Luggage? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Greyhound if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Greyhound Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Greyhound in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our What Do I Do If Greyhound Lost My Luggage? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Asked a year ago
Updated a year ago
Viewed 757,983 times
What customers are saying about this and similar problems
I don't have an ID yet can I use my school ID that I have from ****?
Didn't get my e-ticket in my email
Need to talk to a representative
I had to get off the bus in Marshall Texas bc my grandbaby mom said u kidnapped my gran...
Trying to purchase a ticket from Conway to Greensboro North Carolina for tomorrow July *th
Paying Too Much for Your Plan?
After helping consumers for 10 years, we realized that you need an impartial, live person you can talk to about comparing the various TV, cable, Internet and phone plans in your area- somebody who can compare the best deals across telecom providers. So we created a free concierge service you can call at the phone number below.Call Anytime: 888-379-2546Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals across many companies