How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with H&r Block?

Customers who use H&R Block and need to file an extension will have to follow certain steps both online and via mail, depending on the methods they use to request an extension. All filers who need an extension will need to complete file 4868. This form can be completed through H&R Block or can be submitted via mail. However, you will still be responsible for paying any taxes owed at the time of the extension. Plus, filers need to note that the authorized debit amount to pay a refund can't be changed. However, if your extension is rejected you may have a chance to change the authorized debit amount. This opportunity usually becomes available if you are able to correct those changes online or manually by submitting a mother corrected form 4868. You may have the option to change the authorized debit amount. All filers who request an extension will receive an additional six months to file their return and the reason for the extension is unimportant.

You may find that you need a little more time to complete your income taxes. Fortunately, the IRS makes this possible by taking a few simple steps. Following these steps will grant you an additional six months to prepare and file your taxes. However, the proper steps must be taken and the proper forms must be filed.

Visit the IRS website

FIlers who need additional time to file their income tax can visit the IRS website online and fill out Form 4868. FIlers will need to fill the is form out completely and submit it online. This form will allow filers to get a six-month extension to prepare and file their income taxes. Filers should note that they are still required to pay any taxes that may be due at the time that they request or file for an extension. These steps are required regardless of who you file your income tax with. You will need to follow these steps even if you filed an H&R Block tax return.

Request an Extension by Mail

Filers also have the option of picking up form 4868 and completing it. Once the form has been filled out filers can mail the form to the IRS. You will need to discuss your intentions to request an extension from the IRS with H&R Block. You can use their toll-free number or call the H&R Block office you visited to file your return to get information. The reason for your extension will not be an issue. You will still be given six months to file your return. keep in mind that If you use an H&R Block Online product to request and file an extension, you won't be able to change your authorized debit amount. This isn't possible.

Other Considerations...

If you file an extension with H&R Block and it's rejected, you may have the chance to change your authorized debit amount. This sometimes happens if there are errors in your extension request. You may be able to correct those errors online or you may be required to correct the errors manually and mail them back to the IRS. However, this may grant you a chance to change the authorized debit amount you may owe.

Help from Real People

We partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.
Chat With A Help Expert

Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with H&r Block?"?

After thousands of H&R Block customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with H&r Block? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting H&R Block if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for H&R Block Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like H&R Block in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with H&r Block? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.

H&R Block

Speak to An Expert Now

We partner with a US-based expert help site to provide you with tech support 24/7. Enjoy a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with a live expert now.
Get Live Expert Help
Asked 9 months ago
Updated 9 months ago
Viewed 289,928 times
H&R Block
How do I request an extension to file my taxes with H&R Block?
What steps do I need to take to get an extension to file my taxes with H&R Block?
What are my options for requesting an extension to file my taxes with H&R Block?
How can I get an extension to file my taxes with H&R Block?

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

I have been informed that apparently my tax preparer person that was in Wichita Kansas...
I have taxes that were owed to me from two years ago and I guess it never completed fil...
Need to change information on how I would like to receive my tax return.*Checking accou...
I filed my taxes in a local office on march **th and the IRS excepted and is processing...
I recently attempted to purchase a TV with my Emerald Card, there was a hold placed and...
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!