If you think that someone may be accessing your Hotmail account, you should change the password. Having a strong, unique, and private password is the secret to your security. Changing your password makes it difficult for unauthorized people to access your account and steal your personal information. If malicious people get into your account, they may impersonate you, steal from you, or use your account to send spam.
Changing Your Hotmail on Your Phone
1. On your web browser, navigate to the password change option. On the password change address bar, press 'Return.' If you are not signed in, you can sign in by entering your address and password. Click 'Next.' You will be prompted to generate a security code. You can do it by clicking on the option 'Send Code.'
2. Enter your existing password in the field above the window
3. Enter your new password and confirm it.
4. If you wish to receive prompts to cane your password regularly, you may check the option 'Make me change my password every 72 days. This option make it easy for you to ensure that your password is always safe.
5. Click 'Next.' Your password will be changed
Keeping Your New Password Safe
When choosing a new password, use one that is strong and unique. A strong password should include upper and lower case characters, numbers, and symbols. Do not share it with anyone. Memorizing your password is a lot safer than writing it down where other people may read it. Do not use the same password for other accounts.
If you are unable to open emails on your device after changing your password, you may need to contact the customer support team. Another option is to click on the button 'I have forgotten password.'
Resetting Your Password
It is possible to reset your password and recover your account if you forgot it.
1. Click on the app icon
2. Tap on the option 'Get Started' if you have not signed into the app on your phone
3. Enter your email address in the text field at the center of the page
4. Click the 'Add account' below the email address field. This will direct you to the password entry page. You don't need this step if you are signing back after resetting your password
5. Click on the link 'Forgot my password' at the bottom of the screen
6. Check the box 'I forgot my password' at the top of the page
7. Click 'Next'
8. Tap on the text box 'Enter the characters you see. Type in the characters that are in the code box
9. Click 'Next'
10. Choose an account recovery option. It may either be text or email. If you do not have a backup phone number or email account, click 'I don't have any of these' and then 'Next' to add a backup email. Follow the on-screen instructions
11. Enter your email address or the last four digits of your phone number to verify your identity
12. Click 'send code'
13. Retrieve your recovery code on email or text
14. Click on the text field 'Enter the code' enter the code that you retrieved and click 'Next.'
15. Enter your new password in the fields 'New Password' and 'Reenter password.' Click 'Next.'
16. Sign in to your account using the new password
You may contact Hotmail if you need help with your password reset. Unfortunately, you cannot speak directly with a representative since there is no phone support. The best way to communicate with Hotmail is through the help desk. It has plenty of tips, suggestions, and helpful reminders.
After thousands of Hotmail customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Reset My Hotmail Password? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Hotmail if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Hotmail in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Reset My Hotmail Password? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
We created a free, impartial concierge you can speak to right now that can compare TV, cable, phone, and Internet deals in your area. Are you already getting the best deal? Call now and talk to a real, live person who can tell you what promotions you are missing out on.Call Free Anytime: 888-379-2546Our service is unaffiliated and thus can compare plans across many providers