How do I get tax transcripts and copies of tax returns from the IRS?

Sometimes you find yourself searching for old tax transcripts. If you can't find them, we can help you order them from the IRS. Follow these steps to do so.

As a taxpayer, you should keep copies of your tax returns for at least three years. If you want a copy of your tax returns from previous years, you may get from IRS at a small fee. If you need a copy of your tax returns from that year, you can check with the IRS software provider. If you need tax transcripts, you do not have to pay for them. IRS can help you get them for free.

About Tax Transcripts

A transcript is a document that summarizes your return information. You can get them for the current tax year after returns have been processed by the IRS. You can access your tax transcripts up to three years before the current tax year.

You may need transcripts when applying for your college financial aid and home mortgage. If you are applying for a mortgage, your mortgage company may help you get your tax transcripts.

1. About Tax Return Transcripts

This tax transcript mainly shows line items such as the AGI from an original tax return. This transcript does not show any changes that may be made after filing that return. You may only access this transcript for your current tax year and returns that were processed in the three prior years.

2. About Tax Account Transcript

This transcript shows primary data such as your marital status, adjusted gross income, and return type. Your tax account transcript shows changes that are made after filing your original return.

How to Get Your Transcript From the IRS

  1. The most common and convenient way to get your transcript is by ordering online. Go to the IRS website and click on the 'Get Transcript' tool. Click on the provided link under the 'TOOLS' bar. You will be required to authenticate your identity to complete the process.
  2. You may make your order by phone. If you contact the IRS, you will be connected to an agent who will help you get your transcript.
  3. If you make your transcript order through mail, you should use Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ

Getting a Copy of Your Tax Returns From the IRS

IRS allows you to get a copy of your tax returns for the current tax year and up to six years prior. You need to pay $50 for a copy of your tax returns. Fill in Form 4506 and mail it to IRS to request a copy of your tax returns. If you live in an area that has been declared a disaster area by the federal government, you may get a free copy of your tax returns.

When trying to get a copy of your tax returns, you must be very careful. Note that the IRS does not start conversations with you through any social media platforms. If they want to initiate contact, they will do so by mail. Those who try to contact you through other channels may be scammers.

When you order for a copy of your transcript, you may get it in five to ten days after your request is received. If you made your order through mail, you have to wait 30 days. If you ordered a copy of your tax return, you need to wait 75 days.

If you wish to contact IRS for issues with your tax transcripts or copies of tax returns, you may reach them by phone, mail, email support, live chat, or their various social media platforms. You may contact IRS support team from Monday to Friday. The best time to call is 8:00 am and you will get help in less than an hour. Otherwise, these steps will help you get tax transcripts and copies of tax returns from the IRS.

Help from Real People

We partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.
Chat With A Help Expert
How do I get tax transcripts and copies of tax returns from the IRS?

Why Did GetHuman Write "How do I get tax transcripts and copies of tax returns from the IRS?"?

After thousands of IRS customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How do I get tax transcripts and copies of tax returns from the IRS? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting IRS if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for IRS Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like IRS in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How do I get tax transcripts and copies of tax returns from the IRS? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.


Speak to An Expert Now

We partner with a US-based expert help site to provide you with tech support 24/7. Enjoy a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with a live expert now.
Get Live Expert Help
Asked 4 years ago
Updated 2 years ago
Viewed 2,616,444 times
irs tax trascripts
irs order tax transcript
Order a Transcript
irs customer support
irs phone number
Order a Transcript

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

I am going to college. And they need my income tax transcripts for the year of ****. I...
I can’t get ah employer to give me my W* since I lost the first one
I moved from Texas to Alaska I did set up a forwarding address but never received my W-*
I want my records of tax transcript for ****.
Needing **** W* for my husband so we can get it filed. IRS is holding our refund until...
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!