IRS: What do I do if forgot to include one of my W-2's with my return?

A simple 4 step guide for solving this common IRS problem quickly and effectively by GetHuman

Hi there are two things that you can do. When the IRS receives your return, they will notice that your W-2 is missing and they will send you a letter asking you to respond with the missing W-2. You can wait until they send you a letter informing you of this.
Or, if you can print a copy of your return again, you can print the return and include the missing W-2.
Make sure to attach a cover sheet exlpaining the mistake, and that you have already filed the return and that the return you are sending them now is a duplicate, and that you would like them to take your missing W-2 for your return.
If you forgot where to email your return, you can check for the correct service center on this link Let me know if this helps!
We've helped 5,517 people with their IRS tax question in the last 90 days. Let us help you!
Answer my question
Author:Adam3 years ago

About this Step by Step Guide

After thousands of IRS customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem, along with others, we decide it was high time to publish instructions. Here are just a few examples of the types of questions we were being asked or problems reported by users like you: IRS: What do I do if forgot to include one of my W-2's with my return?; I need to know my tax debt compiled from ***** & ***** amounts.; Seeking practice pages to find way for least tax burden of a Roth conversion; lien paid still shows unpaid on credit report; I don't know what really counts a taxable income and what does not; We never got our state refund for **** and do not have our return or pin number... So we put together this guide to try to help. It has 4 step(s) to it. It takes an average of 112 minutes to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting IRS. And we tried to include a checklist of information you'll need when you try to fix this yourself. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with this.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for IRS Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like IRS that helps customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. If you have other problems or questions and you can't find the solution here, please let us know. We are writing new step by step guides every day for problems like this. And if you spot any issues with our What do I do if forgot to include one of my W-2's with my return? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.


IRS Phone Number
See current wait time and use the GetHuman Phone to reach IRS without waiting on the phone.
Contact IRSIRS Customer ServiceMore IRS How To GuidesSimilar Problems Reported by Others
GetHuman shows free information and tools to help customers contact IRS and solve IRS customer service problems faster.
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free reviews, tools and information. You can help!