How can I get into my Instagram if I forgot my password and email?
Locked out of your Instagram account and don't know what email address you used to sign up? Don't worry. Just follow this guide to help get back into your account.
Complex passwords can be quite hard to remember at times. Whether you have completely forgotten the password and email for your Instagram account or somebody else has changed the details without your permission, there is still something you can do to access your account.
Use Your Mobile Phone Number
If you do not remember your password and email address, you can use your phone number to recover your account. Follow the steps below:
- Open your Instagram app.
- On the login page, click on Get help signing in (it is beneath the blue Login tab). You might have to click on Sign in first.
- Click on the Phone button if you are using an iPhone device (it is positioned on the middle right corner of the screen).
If you are using an Android device click on Send an SMS.
- Select Send Login Link. Tapping on this option will prompt Instagram to send you a text link to the phone number you have provided.
For an Android device you will need to select on the top-right side of the device's screen.
- Open the messages app on your mobile phone. You should find a message from a five-digit number.
- Select the message sent by Instagram. This message will tell you to tap on a link to get back into your account.
- Tap on the link provided in the text body. You might have to click on it 2 times.
- Click on Open on the dialogue window that appears. Doing this should open your account.
Given that you are working with an Android gadget, clicking the link will take you directly to a password reset page. Type in your new password two times and click on Reset Password prior to being redirected to your account in a browser. From here you can open Instagram and access your account using your new password.
If you want to reset your Instagram password via an iPhone, but cannot access your original email address, simply select Edit Profile on the profile page and input a new email ID into the email account field. At this point you can click on Done (top-right side of the screen), click on settings gear, and choose Reset Password. A link will be sent to your new email account.
Use Your Facebook Account
You can also access your Instagram account via your Facebook account if you have forgotten the password and email. Use the following steps:
- Open the Instagram App.
- Select Get help signing in on the login page. You might need to click on the sign in button first.
- Choose Log in With Facebook (at the bottom of the screen).
You should note that this method only works if you had previously linked your Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- Choose OK. This option will appear beneath the text box that notifies you that you have authorized Instagram to use your account profile. After a short while, you will be directed to your account with the Instagram App.
For an Android device, choose Continue as [Your Name] rather than OK.
Use Your Username
This method does not apply to Android devices.
- Open Instagram.
- Choose Get help signing in.
- Enter your username. Given that you have forgotten the email ID you used when signing up for an Instagram account, entering your username can give you a hint.
- Click on Send Login Link. Here you should see a pop-up window showing the first letter of the email you used to register your account and a confirmation message. E.g., you may see: We sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org followed by a link to return to your Instagram account.
- Select OK.
- Open your email account. Given that you cannot access the email ID you provided, you will be required to use your mobile phone number instead.
- Open the email sent by Instagram. In the email body look for the part that says Reset your Instagram password here.
- Tap on the reset link.
- Enter a new password twice.
- Choose Reset Password.
Why Did GetHuman Write "How can I get into my Instagram if I forgot my password and email?"?
After thousands of Instagram customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How can I get into my Instagram if I forgot my password and email? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Instagram if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Instagram Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Instagram in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How can I get into my Instagram if I forgot my password and email? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.