What do I do if my Lyft app is not working?
If you went to book a ride with Lyft and noticed the app isn't working or that you are having problems with your app, here are the most common problems and how to fix them.
If you use the Lyft app regularly to move around your city, then a problem with the app can be a major inconvenience. The most common issue that leads to the Lyft app improper functioning is poor connectivity. Connectivity issues arise because each cell service network has different services in each city. There are common signs of connectivity issues including:
- Trouble logging into the app
- Issues requesting a ride from the app by customers
- Inability to accept ride requests by drivers
- Inability to begin or end a ride on Lyft
- Text or pop-up messages about connectivity problems
- Inability of a device to reach Lyft servers
Sometimes there are system wide issues with the app. Review the different social media, blogs and forums that are Lyft related. Also check out their website. Sometimes there are app-wide bug reports and you can only sit and wait for them to be fixed.
How to solve connectivity problems
Connectivity issues can be resolved by altering some of your device's default settings. They can also be resolved by altering some elements of your phone's service plan. Changes you can make to improve connectivity include:
- Updating your device's software and settings. Whenever you have some free time, update your device's software and settings which should prevent future connectivity problems with the app.
- Close all peripheral apps. When using the Lyft app you should close as many background apps as possible. Multiple background apps will reduce the amount of data bandwidth that Lyft can access.
- Switch airplane mode on and off. If you are having connectivity issues with Lyft, turn on airplane mode and leave it on for 10 seconds then turn it off. This refreshes your network connection.
- Switch locations. Moving from one place to another allows you to move to a place with stronger network connection.
- Restart your device. The oldest troubleshooting solution in the book resets your device and eradicates any tiny glitches in the app.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Lyft app. Deleting then downloading the Lyft app may fix bugs that were present in the earlier version of the app that were causing the problems. It is advised that you switch off your phone after deleting the app for a clean slate.
- Turn off Wi-Fi. You can prevent Wi-Fi calling problems from interfering with the Lyft app by using cellular data. You can do this by changing Wi-Fi Calling preferences to 'Cellular Preferred' or 'Cellular Only' in your device.
- Set background apps to run on Wi-Fi only. Background apps, as stated before, can consume significant cell data bandwidth that causes the Lyft app to stop working. You can ensure that background apps are only refreshed using data from Wi-Fi while Lyft uses cellular data. The process to do this is different for Android and Apple device users.
i. Go to 'Settings'
ii. Click 'Data Usage'
iii. From the Mobile section, click 'Mobile Data Usage'
iv. Choose an app from below the data usage graph (begin with apps that use the most data)
v. Turn off 'Allow background data usage'
i. Go to 'Settings'
ii. Select 'General'
iii. Click 'Background App Refresh'
iv. Select 'Wi-Fi only'
If your app is frozen or it has crashed, it may be as a result of installing new apps on your phone that are incompatible with Lyft. You should delete the apps one by one until Lyft returns to proper functioning.
You can also contact Lyft through their online help desk and notify them of the issues with your app. You can find the link to the help desk on GetHuman.
Help from Real People
We partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.Chat With A Help Expert
Why Did GetHuman Write "What do I do if my Lyft app is not working?"?
After thousands of Lyft customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together What do I do if my Lyft app is not working? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Lyft if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Lyft Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Lyft in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our What do I do if my Lyft app is not working? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Speak to An Expert Now
We partner with a US-based expert help site to provide you with tech support 24/7. Enjoy a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with a live expert now.Get Live Expert Help
Asked 10 months ago
Viewed 111,686 times
lyft app not working
lyft app support
lyft technical support
Problem With the App
Problem With the App
Moving? We Make It Easy.
Call our Free Concierge and we will compare service and plans in your new home area and schedule all setup for the same day- free of charge! Get a better deal on all your services in 1 call, and let us make scheduling easy for you.Call Free: 888-959-6783
Our service is unaffiliated and thus can compare plans across many providers and schedule multiple technicians