How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance?
Applying for unemployment with DUA doesn't have to be an inconvenient hassle, not if you're armed with these tips and have the needed information ready to go. You are more than welcome to file online or by phone and you can even check the status of your claim by phone as well.
If you've been laid off from work or have had your position eliminated, what do you do now? In Massachusetts, you apply for unemployment benefits with the Department of Unemployment Assistance. This guide will give you advice on what you need to apply, how to apply and some tips to help streamline this process.
Some Basic Tips
- It's best to apply for benefits in the first week where you have no employment or partial unemployment.
- Unless there's a problem, your claim should be processed within 21 to 28 days after you've filed.
- You can file online or over the phone, but there is a schedule to call based on the last digit of your social security number. However, anyone can call to apply on Fridays and there's no such required schedule if you apply online.
- You can enroll to receive your benefits via direct deposit by providing your bank's name, routing number and your account number. Otherwise, DUA will send you a debit card.
What Everyone Needs to Provide
- Your Personal information, your social security number, home address, birth date, and phone number. Providing your email address is optional.
- The last 15 months of your employment history, including names, addresses and phone numbers of those employers, your start and end dates, and reasons for leaving those jobs.
Provide This Information If Any Apply to You
- Your Recall date, only if you were laid off and were given a return date.
- Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Birth dates and social security numbers of any minor children you have.
- Union name and local number if you are in a union.
- Those in the military need their DD 214 Member 4 form.
- SF8 form if you worked for the government.
How to File Online If You Never Filed Before
- Go to their UI Portal https://uionline.detma.org/Claimant/Core/Login.ASPX
- Enter your social security number twice and follow the prompts to create your account and begin your application.
- You will be asked to set up a security question in case you forget your password.
If You Have an Account But Forgot Your Password
- Enter your social security number twice and then click on Forgot Password.
- Next, you will be asked to provide your gender, social security number, date of birth and answer to your security question. You should be able to move forward if you remember the answer. If not, you need to call the DUA to verify your identity.
- You will then create a new password after confirming your identity.
- Contact them here if you have any questions.
If You Want to File By Phone
- The phone number you call depends on your area code. Area codes 351, 413, 508, 774 and 978 call 1-877-626-6800. All others call 617-626-6800. Call 711 for voice relay.
- The day of the week you're allowed to call is determined by the last digit of your social security number. 0 and 1 call on Mondays. Tuesdays is reserved for 2 and 3. 4-6 call on Wednesdays and 7-9 call on Thursdays. Anyone can apply on Fridays.
- After making sure you have the needed information, follow the prompts to apply by phone.
Help from Real People
We partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.Chat With A Help Expert
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance?"?
After thousands of Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance
Speak to An Expert Now
We partner with a US-based expert help site to provide you with tech support 24/7. Enjoy a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with a live expert now.Get Live Expert Help
Asked 8 months ago
Updated 7 months ago
Viewed 87,473 times
What customers are saying about this and similar problems
i have been waiting * months it says ive been accepted for pua it has been processing f...
My unemployment claim incorrectly says that I am the owner and*or the majority sharehol...
unemployment keeps hanging up on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I reopened my case to collect but it says I can’t start until*september **th my benefit...
Hi DUA,*I claimed the last * weeks for unemployment benefits. I was told by my Boss NOT...
Moving? Compare and Schedule Free.
Call our Free Concierge and we will compare service and plans in your new home area and schedule all setup for the same day- free of charge! Get a better deal on all your services in 1 call, and let us make scheduling easy for you.Call Now: 888-959-6783Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals (and schedule) across many companies