MetroPCS is a telecommunication company that offers low cost no-contract cell service. The company also sells cell phones that you can use on the MetroPCS service or another network.
Cell phones generally use two types of technology namely Global System for Mobiles (GSM) or Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA). In the US of the five major cell service providers, T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM while Verizon, US Cellular and Sprint use CDMA.
Metro PCS rides on the T-Mobile network and so they only use GSM technology. Metro PCS did have a CDMA network but they shut it down in 2015.
To register your Metro PCS phone on another network, it has to be compatible with the new network. Other eligibility requirements are that your phone must be unlocked and the phone also has to be compatible with the frequencies the new network uses.
You can transfer your Metro PCS phone to a CDMA network in certain situations. You can find the list of phones on the Metro PCS compatibility page.
Majority of phones that have used Sprint, Verizon or US Cellular services in the past are not compatible with Metro PCS phones. On the other hand, most Verizon and US Cellular iPhones are compatible with Metro PCS.
Registering Your Phone to a New Network
If your phone has a SIM card and the new network where you want to register is a GSM network, then all you need to do is take out the SIM card from your Metro PCS phone and insert it into the new phone. You will then receive notifications as to how you can activate the phone on the new network.
If you are registering your Metro PCS phone on a CDMA network, then you will have to do so using your ESN/MEID. Your ESN/MEID is your phone's identifier on the network and has to be provided to the new network for successful registration.
Most cell service networks have the same process for registering your phone online. The process is as follows:
1. Launch your preferred web browser.
2. Open the website of the new carrier where you want to move your Metro PCS phone.
3. Log in to your account.
4. Click the button labeled 'Activate and Select Plan.'
5. Click 'Change/Activate/Upgrade/Register Phone.'
6. Enter the personal information you are requested to provide and your phone's ESN/MEID number.
7. Follow the prompts for successful registration.
8. Open the confirmation email sent by the new network to ascertain that your Metro PCS phone has indeed been registered.
If the networks are compatible, there is another process you can use to register your Metro PCS phone on another network.
The process is as follows:
1. Ensure your phone is charged completely.
2. Take your Metro PCS SIM Card and place the SIM Card from the new network into your Metro PCS phone.
3. Go to 'Settings.'
4. Scroll down the settings and select 'Software Update.'
5. Finish the update once the phone reboots.
6. Go to the network's website
7. Register your device on the new network.
Contact Customer Service
The other avenue you can use to successfully register your Metro PCS phone on a new network is to call customer service directly and have them do it for you.
Calling Metro PCS customer service to register your phone is one of the most effective ways to do so. The company has several customer service numbers which you can call.
To find out when the phone lines are open and when is the best time to call, then you should visit GetHuman. You can then choose the best number of the ones available.