Can a Playstation Ban Be Lifted?
You come home from a long week. All you want to do is just settled down on your couch and enjoy some relaxing rounds of games on your PlayStation. Or perhaps you want to catch up with your friends, so you find that console that has not been used in forever. Only for your hopes to be crashed by you not being able to access your system or account.
The PlayStation Network has a Code of Conduct to ensure that its terms of service are met. In case of any violations, the Network can choose to either ban or suspend your account. A suspension is temporary in nature but a ban is more permanent. You will know that you have been locked out of the system if or when you see an error code.
There are two types of bans: system bans and account bans. System bans are bans whereby no local account can sign in using your system. You can revert to using your account details on another system as long as your account is still valid. Account bans mean that your specific account cannot sign in to whichever device.
Before Any Step Is Taken, You Need to Figure out If and Why You Have Been Banned or Suspended.
Here are some steps that you can follow:
- Try someone else's account on your system. If it works then your account has been banned. The same applies for checking your system. If your account login works on another system, then your console has been banned.
- Go to the website and read through all the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct. Find out which one you might have landed you in such a situation.
- In cases where you violated the Community Code of Conduct, you will receive an email. Check your email to verify. In most cases, the email lists the nature of the situation- a ban or a suspension, the specific reason and the date of enforcement.
- Perhaps you forgot to pay your subscriptions and fees, which is a common mistake. If this is the case, you can simply pay up your debts and then contact customer care to reactivate your account.
What Happens If You Have Truly Been Banned?
Firstly, you need to understand that a ban only happens after a very thorough investigation by the Sony moderation staff. The decision cannot be disputed and the customer care team cannot also be of assistance. However, you can still get support from PlayStation.
There are two exceptions to this:
- If, as mentioned earlier, you have a debt on your account. The ban will be lifted as soon as all accounts are settled.
- Your account username was offensive or inappropriate. You can contact PlayStation by filling out a form. On the form, select "Appeal Account Ban for Inappropriate Online ID". Once you choose a username that is in line with the policies, then the ban can get lifted.
What Happens to All Your Content and Subscriptions?
Unfortunately, you will no longer have access to any of them once your account has been banned. However, if it only your console that has been banned, you can access your content from another system on the condition that your account is still active.
What to Do to Avoid Such a Situation Again
Avoid buying second hand PlayStations. They are usually the perfect cover for people whose accounts have been banned to get rid of their systems. If you must, make sure you test the system before final purchase.
Only purchase PlayStation Systems from reputable outlets. This is a more secure method since in case of anything, you can always be guaranteed to find the store and file a complaint.
Why Did GetHuman Write "Can a Playstation Ban Be Lifted?"?
After thousands of Playstation customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together Can a Playstation Ban Be Lifted? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Playstation if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Playstation Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Playstation in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our Can a Playstation Ban Be Lifted? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Asked a month ago
What customers are saying about this and similar problems
My PlayStation network account got permanently banned for violating terms and condition...
I did not do anything to get banned and am a kid that likes to play video games and I d...
Fraud, but an accident with my bank caused this. It happened about a year ago but I rea...
My account*gamertag got banned due to me violating the terms and agreements. Me not kno...
i got banned and don’t know the reason ... and i wanna get unbanned since i purchased m...