How Do I Recover My Playstation Account?
If you are unable to access your PlayStation account because of a forgotten password, there is a simple way to recover it and continue using your account. All you need to do is provide your mobile phone number and set a security question for your account. You can set up this information before you lose your login information. If, however, you don't have your login information, you can reset the password and recover your account.
Reasons to Set a Security Question and Mobile Number
You should always set a security question and mobile number as they make the process of recovering your password much easier. Follow these steps to set a security question on your PlayStation.
- Go to the settings option and then account management.
- Click on account information and then click on the security option
- Enter your sign-in information and go to the option security question and answer
- There will be a list of security questions on the dropdown list. You may pick one or create a different account
- Click on the option continue and type in the answer to your question
- Click confirm to save the changes
You can also set your security question through the web by following these steps.
- Sign in to your PlayStation on a web browser
- Go to the option security
- Click on the option edit and then security question and answer
- Add a security question and then type in an answer
- Click save to save your changes
Adding a Mobile Number to Your Account
- Go to the main menu of your Playstation network and then to the settings option
- Go to the option account management, account information, and then security
- Enter your sign-in information and then select the option mobile phone
- Enter your mobile phone number
- Press R2 to complete the process
- Save the changes
The 2-Step Verification
The 2-step verification process gives you an additional layer of protection. You will receive a verification code sent to your mobile phone number. The code will act as a temporary account password before you reset it.
When You Receive Password Reset Emails You Didn't Ask For
You may receive password reset emails even if you didn't request for them. This is a common occurrence so it should not be a cause for worry.
If you get a notification that PSN or SEN has reset your password, it is usually because they want to ensure that your account remains secure. You can always reset the password to your preference.
If the email notification does not say that the reset was initiated by PSN or SEN, it may be a cause for concern. Other people may have tried to get into your account. In such cases, you need to put in some effort to secure your account. You can do that by following these steps.
- Reset the password of your email account
- Reset the password of your PlayStation account
If you have trouble trying to recover your account due to a forgotten password, contact the support team of your network for help. You should be able to provide them with information to verify your identity.
You can prove your identity through two default methods; you may be required to confirm your date of birth or complete the verification process through an email sent to your email address.
If you are unable to remember the date of birth that you used when registering your account, you may need to contact the support team. You should provide them with your online ID and a copy of your ID.
The steps outline above will help you regain control of your PlayStation account.
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Recover My Playstation Account?"?
After thousands of Playstation customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Recover My Playstation Account? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Playstation if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Playstation Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Playstation in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Recover My Playstation Account? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.