Social Security: How do I report a change in address?

A simple 6 step guide for solving this common Social Security problem quickly and effectively by GetHuman

Before you get started, be sure you have: Email address on the account, Password
If you are currently enrolled in Social Security, and you are currently receiving Medicare, you can change your address online
Sign into your account here
From there, navigate to "My Account"
Click Address change
If you currently receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), do not have a U.S. mailing address, or are unable to change your address online, then you can change your address either by calling 800-772-1213
Or you can do so in your local office. You can find your local office by entering your zip code on this page
Do you have this same issue? Get started now with our tips and tricks.
Start fixing my issue
Author: Adam • July 12th, 2016

About this Step by Step Guide

After thousands of Social Security customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem, along with others, we decide it was high time to publish instructions. Here are just a few examples of the types of questions we were being asked or problems reported by users like you: Social Security: How do I report a change in address?; I have applied for a Social Ssecurity card * weeks back and have not received it yet . Am not gett..; i want to start tax withholding,both state and federal on my benefits.; To speak with Representative to obtain a verification document; I inquired about the card and now they are issuing this card without my consent, and my payment will; I would like to know where do I get medical eligibility form at its at ssa office?... So we put together this guide to try to help. It has 6 step(s) to it. It takes an average of 115 minutes to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Social Security. And we tried to include a checklist of information you'll need when you try to fix this yourself. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with this.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Social Security Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Social Security that helps customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. If you have other problems or questions and you can't find the solution here, please let us know. We are writing new step by step guides every day for problems like this. And if you spot any issues with our How do I report a change in address? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.

Help from a Live Expert

We partner with a West Coast company with live support techs available 24/7. Take advantage of a special $1 one-week trial membership and chat with a real, live person now!
Chat With an Expert

Social Security

GetHuman shows free information and tools to help customers contact Social Security and solve Social Security customer service problems faster.

Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!