Your 'My Social Security' online account is a personal service that allows you to access your Social Security details conveniently. You can't create the online account if there is a fraud alert or security freeze on your credit report. If there is a fraud alert or security freeze on your account, you can get help in your local Social Security office.
If you forgot your Social Security password and username, you can reset it and regain access to your online account.
Retrieving Your Social Security Online Account Username
1. Click on the option 'Forgot username'
2. Enter your Social Security number, email address, and birth date
3. On the 'username' field, you can see your username
Resetting Your Social Security Online Account Password
1. Open 'Forgot Password'
2. Enter your birth of date, Social Security number, and username in the relevant fields
3. You will receive three verification questions. You can only reset your account after answering them
4. Create a new strong, memorable and unique password
5. Confirm the new password to finish the process
If You Forgot the Password Verification Answers
1. Open 'Forgot Password'
2. Enter your date of birth, username, and Social Security number in the appropriate fields
3. When presented with the verification questions, click 'I can't remember my answers.'
4. If your cell phone is registered as the second factor, you will receive mail with the temporary password to your account. If your email is registered as the second factor or you didn't register a second method, you may have your temporary password sent through a letter in your registered address. You should receive it in five to 10 business days.
5. When you receive the temporary password, you can use it to access your account. Reset it and use a strong password
Changing Your Password
You can change the password to your Social Security online account whenever you want. Use your existing password and username to sign in. Open the 'Security Settings' page and click 'Update password.'
If You Can't Create an Online Social Security Account
If you have any problems setting up a Social Security online account, you may ask for help from the customer service team. They will identify the problem and give you the relevant help.
Accessing Your Social Security Account if You Lost Your Phone
You can continue to access your account even after losing your phone. You register your phone number and not your specific phone. You should have no problems if your phone number doesn't change. If you can't access your phone number anymore, you can request a reset code. It may be sent online or to your address.
Contacting the Support Team
The best way to contact Social Security is on the phone. It is the only option to speak directly with a customer service agent. They will listen to you and provide the best possible solution to your problem.
Another option to seek help is through the Social Security help desk. The help pages cover some of the most frequently asked questions and common topics. Seek support from the help desk before contacting customer service agents directly.
After thousands of Social Security customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together What Do I Do If I Forgot My Social Security Password and Username for My Online Account? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Social Security if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Social Security in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our What Do I Do If I Forgot My Social Security Password and Username for My Online Account? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Our free concierge service can find the best deals across telecom providers in your new zip code and making sure your services arrive on the same day. Talk to a live person seconds from now who can do price comparisons for you and get a date that works for you!Call Toll-Free: 888-959-6783Our service is unaffiliated and thus can compare plans across many providers and schedule multiple technicians