Nobody likes to go through the hassle of canceling a flight at any airline. Fortunately, it's easy to cancel your Southwest Airlines flight and get a refund or credit added to your travel funds. Just take the following steps.
1. Start by visiting the website and clicking on "My Account" found at the top right corner of the page.
2. log into your account then scroll down to the middle of the screen where you will find your upcoming flights. Select the flight you wish to cancel and click, "Cancel Flight".
3. Next, you must confirm that you want to cancel this flight and then choose how you want to receive your refund. If you have a fully refundable ticket then you have the option of holding a travel fund credit that can be used in the future or requesting a full refund. However, if your ticket was non-refundable known as "Wanna Get Away tickets", you can only request to get travel funds credit for future use. On the right, you will see the price of the ticket, which is the amount to be converted to travel funds credit or refunded. If your flight was booked with cash, you will see the full price of the ticket.
4. Finally, to complete the cancellation of your flight, click the yellow button "Cancel Flight" found at the bottom of the page. This will complete your cancellation.
You will receive a full refund to the payment method that you used to purchase your ticket or if you chose to convert the refund to travel funds, they will be added to your account and usable for up to 12 months.
If you chose to convert your refund to travel funds, you must know how to use them, as they don't just show up in your account, as you would think unless you do a search for them. In addition, you should take note of what you have available in your travel funds so you can retrieve them later.
First, it is very important that you know the confirmation number associated with the travel funds in order to access them. You can use your available travel funds for flights, fees, and taxes, but they can only be used for the original passenger and not for someone else.
1. Start by finding the flight that you want to take, and then go to the Payment and Passenger Info section.
2. In the section for "Payment Method", go to the drop-down menu that says "Southwest gift cards, Southwest LUV vouchers, and travel funds", found at the top". Click on it and then fill in the details of your travel funds information. To toggle between all of the payment methods, choose, "Travel Funds" located in the middle.
4. This part will require your original flight confirmation number and your full name. Click "Apply Funds" to complete your purchase. You can use up to three payment options per reservation, so you can use your travel funds from multiple flight confirmations at the same time.
These travel funds can be used for up to 12 months from the original purchase date. If you have any questions click here to contact a Southwest representative.
After thousands of Southwest Airlines customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Cancel My Southwest Airlines Flight and Get a Refund or Credit? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Southwest Airlines if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Southwest Airlines in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Cancel My Southwest Airlines Flight and Get a Refund or Credit? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.