How Do I Change My Booking with Southwest Airlines?
Changing your Southwest Airlines booking is straightforward when following these steps through the process. The guide outlines important policies so you can rest assured that your trip is on track. Southwest Airlines' cancellation and refund policies are also explained, making it easy to decide between modifying or canceling a flight.
Tight schedules and last-minute changes can make flying hectic. Luckily, Southwest Airlines has generous policies regarding booking changes and cancellations.
No Change Fees
If you change Southwest Airlines bookings, you won't be charged a penalty fee, but you need to request the change at least 60 minutes before your scheduled departure. The only increase in price will be the difference in fare, if there is one.
Changing Southwest Airlines Bookings
- Log in to your account online or with the Southwest Airlines app
- Click on the Flight tab
- Click on "Change Flight"
- Continue with your confirmation number, first name, and last name
- Select the flight and choose new options using the drop-down menus
- Fare differences will be displayed. Continue through the normal booking process.
- Once changes are confirmed, you will receive the new confirmation number.
If you are unable to access the website, change Southwest Airlines bookings by contacting support.
Cancellations and Refunds
You can cancel Southwest Airlines flights until 10 minutes before departure. Missed flights can't be canceled online, so you'll need to speak to an agent or request a refund exception by mailing a letter to the Southwest Airlines Refunds Department.
- Canceled refundable fares will be credited back to the original form of payment.
- Nonrefundable fares become travel funds to apply to a new flight after cancellation.
- Travel funds may be used for flights departing within one year, for the same person.
- If vouchers or gift cards were used as payment, the flight must be canceled with an agent.
No Show Policies
If you don't cancel the flight nor board the plane, you will be considered a no show.
- Funds from missed "Wanna Get Away" flights will be forfeited if you don't cancel.
- Business Select, Senior, and Anytime fare will convert to reusable travel funds.
- Rewards points will be redeposited to the Rapid Rewards account.
- Taxes and fees are held for future use.
Refund Policy Exceptions
When you cancel Southwest Airlines bookings within 24 hours, all flights qualify for a refund. Any other requests for policy exceptions must be physically mailed to the Southwest Airlines Refund Department, including the confirmation number, proof of purchase, or the paper ticket.
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Change My Booking with Southwest Airlines?"?
After thousands of Southwest Airlines customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Change My Booking with Southwest Airlines? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Southwest Airlines if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Southwest Airlines Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Southwest Airlines in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Change My Booking with Southwest Airlines? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Asked 4 months ago
Updated 3 months ago
Viewed 303,363 times
Change Southwest Airlines
Cancel Southwest Airlines flight
What customers are saying about this and similar problems
I already booked a flight for September **, **** to go see my sick father but he passed...
K*JYUB I have a flight out of BNA to TPA on Monday but my dad has a heart attack and I...
I need to cancel a return flight and will reschedule at a later time.
Refund for reservation earlybird
Change today’s return flight time from San Francisco to lax from **:** to **-* time if...