How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with Taxact?

Despite all your planning and intentions to file your taxes on time, you may somehow miss the deadline looming over you. Collecting the required paperwork and filing the tax need time. When you're short of it, you can choose the option to request an extension with TaxAct using Form 4868. Here's the entire step-by-step process to follow.

How Do I Request An Extension To File My Taxes With TaxAct?

Getting an extension to file your tax return isn't tricky if you follow the right procedures with TaxAct. Use Form 4868 for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return. With this form, you can avoid the penalties applicable to neglect of tax filing without extension. Once you finish the process, though, IRS may give you a copious six months to collect everything and file your returns. Let's see how it works.

How to Get a Six-Month Extension

If you need the automatic extension of six months to file your tax return, submit Form 4868 with the necessary estimates applicable to it. Steps to follow are:

  • Go to the Filing Section on the TaxAct website.
  • If you've already initiated the tax filing process, go to the Filing an Extension section.
  • Download and print Form 4868 or choose the e-filing option. Also, pay your tax dues with the extension.

How to Get a State Extension

When you apply for a federal tax filing extension, your state may automatically follow the course. In some states, though, you need to file a separate state extension.

How to Get an Extension via a Mobile device

If you want to complete the process via your mobile device, follow these steps:

  • Go to the Menu tab on the left-hand upper corner and click on the tab "Help."
  • Enter 4868 in the search bar.
  • Scroll down the menu and find "Jump to Links," where you can click on "4868- Application for Automatic Extension."
  • Choose the "State Only" or "State and Federal" option. However, you must have your state attached to your tax returns if you want one of these options.
  • You will next get the interview questions to enter the system or need to review your extension details.

When Should You File Extension and When You Shouldn't?

If you don't receive income and tax-related information on time from your partnerships or other businesses, you can file this extension. This option also works if you've been ill, out of the country, or having a family crisis underway.

However, if you want to file an extension when you may owe more but don't know what, it's not a good idea. If you fail to make the right estimates of your tax and pay them with an extension, you will end up with penalties and interest on the shortfall.

Help from Real People

We partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.
Chat With A Help Expert

Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with Taxact?"?

After thousands of TaxAct customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with Taxact? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting TaxAct if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for TaxAct Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like TaxAct in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Request an Extension to File My Taxes with Taxact? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.


Speak to An Expert Now

We partner with a US-based expert help site to provide you with tech support 24/7. Enjoy a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with a live expert now.
Get Live Expert Help
Asked 9 months ago
Updated 9 months ago
Viewed 104,731 times
TaxAct income tax extension
TaxAct Form 4868 filing

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

I haven’t heard anything about my income tax or anything.
I haven’t heard anything about my income tax or anything.
I haven’t heard anything about my income tax or anything.
I haven’t heard anything in * months on my taxes
I need my refund amount from tax act to see why it's been * months since I filed.i can...

Free Moving Concierge

Our free concierge service can find the best deals across telecom providers in your new zip code and making sure your services arrive on the same day. Talk to a live person seconds from now who can do price comparisons for you and get a date that works for you!

Call anytime: 888-959-6783Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals (and schedule) across many companies
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!