How Do I Fix a Hacked Twitter Account?
Has your Twitter account been hacked? Unfortunately, lots of people face the same problem every year. Having your account hacked is not fun but it can be fixed in just a few steps. Whether your goal is to earn more followers or simply interact with users, a hacked account may be infuriating. Hackers can cause you to lose followers and embarrass you. Hackers have a lot of ways to get to you so it is easy to fall prey. Most of them will pretend to send you links. If you open any of them, your account will immediately be hacked. It is, therefore, wise to delete suspicious links instead of attempting to open them.
If you are not sure whether you have been hacked, look out for the following signs;
- Other people claiming to have received messages from you even though you did not send them
- Noticing strange tweets from your account
- Getting an email notification that you changed your password
- Getting an email notification to verify that you changed the email associated with your account
- An unusual increase or decrease in your number of followers
Fixing Your Hacked Account
If you are certain that your account has been hacked, you must put in measures to recover it as soon as possible. Follow these steps to fix your hacked account.
- You will see the symbol of a man's profile at the right-hand corner of your account. Click on the man and then the settings option
- Click on the option Password and then the option 'Change your password or recover your current one.'
- Enter your current password and then your new password. The new password should be strong. Do not use a password that is too obvious.
- Click on the option save changes
- After changing your password, go to the left column and click on the option Account. Check it carefully to ensure that all the information is correct. If the hacker changed any information such as the email address, change it back to yours
- Save your changes by clicking on the option at the bottom of the page
Protecting Your Account From Future Hacking
After saving all the changes in your account, it is time to protect yourself from going through the same problem again. Go to the left column and click on the option Apps. You will see a list of all the applications that can access your account. One of the third party sites that can access your account may be the problem. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to identify the app with the problem. The best way to get rid of the problem is by deleting each one of them and then adding them back one by one. Go to the button of every application and click the button Revoke Access.
Add them back one by one and keep monitoring your account. Look out for strange activity every time you add an application. Always change your password in the application when you add it back.
After recovering your account, you may need to clean up some of the activities that the hacker did. If they sent out offensive messages to your followers, reach out to them and apologize. Delete all the tweets they posted. You should also update security for your applications and scan your device for viruses and spyware. With a little effort, your account should stay safe. If you still have problems with your account after attempting to fix the problem, contact Twitter's support team for help. They may be able to provide you with a solution.
If you decide to fix your Twitter account after it has been hacked, you need to follow the steps outlined above.
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Fix a Hacked Twitter Account?"?
After thousands of Twitter customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Fix a Hacked Twitter Account? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Twitter if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Twitter Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Twitter in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Fix a Hacked Twitter Account? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.