How to Get a Replacement Passport from the Us Passport Agency?

To replace a damaged, lost, or stolen U.S. passport, visit a passport acceptance facility with the right paperwork, proof of identity and citizenship, a 2x2 photo that meets the passport requirements, and the required fees in an acceptable payment format.

If you are an American who needs to replace your passport, you are in the right place. You may have lost your U.S. passport while traveling, or it may be too damaged to use. No matter the reason for needing a new passport, this guide can assist you with your replacement request to the U.S. Passport Agency.

Additionally, if you have to travel urgently, this guide discusses the best chance of keeping your travel plans intact if your U.S. passport has been lost or damaged. There's nothing better than knowing how to expedite your passport replacement request when you need to travel urgently.

  1. To replace either a damaged, stolen, or lost U.S. passport, you need to appear in person at a U.S. passport acceptance facility or a certified U.S. passport agency. You can find the closest passport acceptance site by visiting the U.S. State Department website. Many local post offices process passport applications. Unfortunately, you cannot proceed with your passport replacement online.
  2. Present a signed statement explaining the damage to your passport. There is no mandatory length of this statement, so you can do your best and describe things as thoroughly as you see fit. This will ensure you have the best chance at getting your damaged U.S. passport replaced.
  3. In the event your U.S. passport was lost or stolen, you will need to fill out Form DS-64, which you can download from the U.S. State Department website and fill out in advance. This document contains an area to insert a written statement regarding your stolen or lost passport. This enables the U.S. Passport Agency to issue you a replacement.
  4. If your U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged, you will also need to fill out Form DS-11 for the U.S. Passport Agency. This form is an official application for a new U.S. passport. Download the form from the State Department website.
  5. Arrive at the passport acceptance facility with evidence of U.S. citizenship, regardless of whether your passport was lost, stolen, or damaged. The instructions for Form DS-11 list the acceptable documents to prove citizenship.
  6. Additionally, be prepared to present a valid photo identification.
  7. Bring one 2x2 passport photo that complies with the requirements listed in the instructions for Form DS-11.
  8. Finally, bring your U.S. passport replacement fees in a payment method that will be accepted. The instructions for Form DS-11 also indicate the fee for the basic replacement service, the fee to expedite your request, the fee for express return mail delivery, if desired, and the acceptable forms of payment.

If you are in need of additional assistance with this process, please visit our dedicated support page. We will help you get in touch with a human at the U.S. Passport Agency to answer your questions.

Why Did GetHuman Write "How to Get a Replacement Passport from the Us Passport Agency?"?

After thousands of U.S. Passport Agency customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How to Get a Replacement Passport from the Us Passport Agency? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting U.S. Passport Agency if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for U.S. Passport Agency Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like U.S. Passport Agency in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How to Get a Replacement Passport from the Us Passport Agency? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.

U.S. Passport Agency

Asked a year ago
Updated a year ago
Viewed 807,199 times
U.S. Passport Agency
stolen passport replaced
replace lost passport
get a new passport
damaged passport

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

Name on passport don’t match driv license
My passport. And my ss card say jay. First name. Used whole life. Now ca. forced this t...
My passport. And my ss card say jay. First name. Used whole life. Now ca. forced this t...
I haven't received my child passport card and my documents
My name is Charlie Tran. My application locator number is *********. I had submitted...

Paying Too Much for TV?

Want to talk to a real person right now who can compare TV, Internet, or phone packages in your area from different companies? Our service tracks the best deals from the various providers in your home area.

Call Now: 888-379-2546Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals across many companies
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!