How Do I Close My Us Bank Account?
Closing a bank account is not complicated. It should not be done on a whim as it could lead to inconveniences. Find out your bank's account closing policy before you rush into closing your account.
Closing a US Bank account can be a daunting experience. Some people are turned off by the effort and fees involved. However, if you plan your exit well, it is an easy task.
You do not need to give reasons why you are closing your bank account. Some of the common reasons are:
- You have gotten better interest rates elsewhere
- You are opening a joint account
- You are moving out of the country or state
- You are escaping poor customer service
- You are switching to an adult account from a child account
- You are switching to an online bank
There are a few things that you need to do to have a smooth transition after you leave the bank:
- Open a new account – First, you need to open a new account. This will allow you to transfer funds from the old account. It also gives you a place to receive direct deposits and payments when you are in the process of closing the other account.
- Update your bill payment information – Be sure to switch pill payments and any other type of payment that you receive to your new account.
- Make sure that you clear all pending payments – To avoid overdraft fees, ensure that all pending payments have been cleared. To be on the safe side, leave some cash in the bank account you want to close. The money will cover any recurring payment you might have missed.
To close your US Bank account, choose a method that works best for you from any of the following options:
- Visit the nearest bank branch
- Call customer care service number
- Close your account online
- Mail a letter to the bank
Visit the Nearest Bank Branch
- Go to the nearest US Bank branch.
- Fill an account closure request form.
- Your account will then be checked for any issues.
- If there are no outstanding issues, it is marked as closed.
- If there was money in the account, it will be sent as a check in the mail. Alternatively, you can transfer it to your new account.
Call Customer Care Service Number
- Dial the customer care service number and speak to an agent.
- Inform the person of your decision to close to the bank.
- You will be asked a few questions for security reasons.
- You will then be asked to download account closing forms.
- Fill them in and send them to your nearest bank branch.
- You will then receive a letter in the mail informing you of the successful closure of the account.
Close Your Account Online
- Visit the bank's online platform.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on the "My Account" option.
- Choose the "Close my Account" option.
- Confirm the closure of the account.
- You will be required to send your bank cards to the bank after the account has been closed.
Mail a Letter to the Bank
- Write a letter, address it to the bank manager of your local Bank branch.
- Make sure you indicate your account number in the letter.
- Request for your bank balance to be transferred to your new account.
- When submitting your form include your debit card, passbook, proof of ID, and your cheque book.
- After some time, you will receive confirmation from the bank on the successful closure of your bank.
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Close My Us Bank Account?"?
After thousands of US Bank customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Close My Us Bank Account? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting US Bank if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for US Bank Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like US Bank in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Close My Us Bank Account? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.