How Do I Freeze a Lost or Stolen Us Bank Credit or Debit Card?
When you notice your US Bank debit or credit card missing or fear it stolen, don't panic. You can take a few simple steps to ease your fears. Calling customer service immediately to report it missing and keeping an eye on your account for suspicious charges both give you peace of mind. Check your credit report if needed and call US Bank anytime you have a question or need help.
You're enjoying the advantages of having a debit or credit card when you suddenly realize you may have misplaced it. What do you do when such a nightmarish event happens to you? First, don't panic. Secondly, there are options, but the best option is to contact customer service. Keep in mind there's different numbers for business and personal as well for debit or credit but they're all available 24/7 to keep you covered.
At this time, placing a freeze on a lost or stolen debit or credit card is not an option. However, US Bank has customer service representatives available 24/7 and they do have a checklist of actions that can remove some of the stress of having a missing card.
US Bank Checklist
- Call customer service immediately. You can reach them here. For deaf and hard-of-hearing customers, US bank's customer service does accept relay calls.
- Your card will more than likely be replaced. Even if it's missing and you locate it later, you will still need to use the new one from now on. Review the below list for what to do after you receive your new card.
- Monitor your US bank account for any suspicious activity and let them know immediately so that they can help you file a claim against the fraudulent charges. You will not be held liable against any fraudulent transactions.
- If your credit card was stolen, monitor that activity and report any suspicious charges. It's also recommended that you obtain a free copy of your credit report at annualcreditreport.com.
After You Receive Your New Card
- Activate your new card, making sure you sign the back of the card.
- Update any automatic payments that use your card number. Although updating your payment methods is a personal choice, automatic payments that use your direct bank account are not affected by this change. Some common merchants and companies include
- Household and business expenses such as utilities, phone, internet, insurance payments, etc.
- Internet or digital wallets like PayPal and Apple Pay.
- Subscriptions like Google Play, Netflix or Hulu.
- Continue to make payments to your previous credit card. This is so the billing system can credit your account appropriately, and that your account will reflect your new credit card number in the next statement.
- Destroy all convenience checks that have your old credit card number, as well as any remaining credit or debit cards that have the old number and expiration date.
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Freeze a Lost or Stolen Us Bank Credit or Debit Card?"?
After thousands of US Bank customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Freeze a Lost or Stolen Us Bank Credit or Debit Card? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting US Bank if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for US Bank Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like US Bank in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Freeze a Lost or Stolen Us Bank Credit or Debit Card? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Asked a year ago
Updated 9 months ago
Viewed 520,255 times
What customers are saying about this and similar problems
I'd like yo transfer money from my relia crad to my us bank checking account.
I have looked everywhere but cannot find my cards. I have an old one with us bank and...
Good Morning!!!**could you please check status for my request ********?*(if request com...
My reliacard has been misplaced need help
This is regarding money that I transferred to a different bank account that said it sen...
Paying Too Much for Cable?
After helping consumers for 10 years, we realized that you need an impartial, live person you can talk to about comparing the various TV, cable, Internet and phone plans in your area- somebody who can compare the best deals across telecom providers. So we created a free concierge service you can call at the phone number below.Call Anytime: 888-379-2546Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals across many companies