How Do I Report a Change of Address to the Usps?

When moving, make sure reporting a change of address to USPS is on your to-do list so you do not miss any of your important correspondence. You can submit a change of address form online for a small fee. You can also physically complete a change of address form and place it in your mailbox or submit it in person at your local post office.

Moving can be an overwhelming task. There are so many things you need to do and set up in order for your move to be successful. One area you don't want to neglect is your mail. When you move, you want your mail to move with you, but how do you make sure that happens? How do you report a change of address to the USPS? You can receive information and support from USPS here, and below are ways you can report a change of address.

Reporting Change of Address to USPS

There are three ways you can report a change of address to USPS: online, via mail, or in person.


The quickest way to report your change of address to USPS is through its online portal. To set up your change of address and mail forwarding service, follow these steps:

  1. Open the USPS website in your computer's browser.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of the screen, select "Quick Tools."
  3. Select "Change My Address" from the options displayed.
  4. Complete the online form including your name, email address, current address, forwarding address, date to start forwarding, and any other information required.
  5. Proceed to the payment screen and submit the small payment (currently it is $1.10).
  6. Confirm the change.

Your mail will now be forwarded to your new address. Note, it may take up to seven days before you start receiving your mail at your new address.

Via Mail

You can also request a change of address form from your postal carrier. Once you receive the form, fill it out in its entirety and place it back in your mailbox to report your change of address. The post office will input the information into the system. This method is more cost-efficient than online (it is free to use the change of address form), but it does take longer to process.

In Person

You can also go to your local post office and fill out and submit a change of address form in person. Similar to the mail in method, this is free of charge, but it does take more time to process than the online method.

Reporting a change of address to USPS ensures that your mail will contine to reach you at your new location. For more information or assistance, contact USPS here.

Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Report a Change of Address to the Usps?"?

After thousands of US Postal Service customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Report a Change of Address to the Usps? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting US Postal Service if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for US Postal Service Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like US Postal Service in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Report a Change of Address to the Usps? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.

US Postal Service

Asked 9 months ago
Updated 9 months ago
Viewed 380,096 times
US Postal Service
report change of address

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

I have a package coming but it's the wrong address. Can I pick it up at the post office...
Package missing … where is it
Got a charge for '**.** off a third party trying to change my address and I need to can...
I went to one of your location in Philadelphia and the so called supervisor or manager...
Tracking number ********************** stuck in “moving through transit” for * days now...
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!