How Do I Submit a Change of Address to the Us Postal Service?

If you are moving or would like to rent a post office box, you may contact your local post office and ask to submit your change with these helpful tips.

If you are moving or would like to rent a post office box, you may contact your local post office and ask to submit your change. You have two options for letting the post office know about your address

1. Use their Website

This is the fastest way to submit your change of address. Once you have submitted your change, you will receive a confirmation email. The US Postal Service charges you $1 to change your address online. The charge is meant to verify your identity. It ensures that no one attempts to change your address without your permission.

2. Visit Your Local Post Office

If you can't change your address online, you may visit your local post office. Ask them for a Mover's Guide packet. The packet will have a PS Form 3575. Fill it out and change your address. Submit it to a worker at the post office or drop it at the letter mail slot. The post office will send you a confirmation letter at your new address in five business days.

Changing Your Mailing Address Temporarily

If you would like to change your mailing address for a specified period, you simply need to inform your local post office. They may also hold your mail for some time when you are away on vacation. However, the Hold Mail service may not be available in certain post offices.

A temporary change of address sends your mail to a different location for a short time. During that period, you may decide to use the new mailing address for the long term. If that is the case, you should manually update senders as mail appears with a yellow forwarding label. You can cancel the service if you no longer need it.

If You Aren't sure of the Address You've Updated

If you don't remember to update your mailing address with some senders, you can still see the mail that was forwarded by USPS if you filed an address change. When you have the new VirtualPostMail account, you can notify people and businesses about your new address. Some of the businesses that you may need to notify include;

1. Banks and credit cards

2. Magazines and catalogs

3. Your subscriptions for professional clubs

4. Tax entities

Confirmation of Address Change

When you submit your request for an address change, USPS will send you a confirmation in any of the following ways;

1. They may send a welcome kit to your new address. The kit will have coupons and offers for the new address

2. They may send a Change of Address Validation Letter to your old address. This letter will be sent if you have not yet moved out of your old address

3. If you have already moved out of your old address, they may send a Permanent Change of Address Confirmation Letter to your new address

You will know that your request has been processed when you receive a confirmation letter in your VirtualPostMail mailbox.

If you need help changing your address, you may seek support from the United States Postal Service. The best way to contact them is on the phone. You will be connected with a representative in a few minutes.

If you don't necessarily need to speak with a representative, you may seek support on email. You need to be patient when seeking support on email. You may have to go back and forth a few times before getting the help you need. You may also seek support on Twitter or Facebook.

You may seek support on the help desk before contacting the support team for help.

Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Submit a Change of Address to the Us Postal Service?"?

After thousands of US Postal Service customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Submit a Change of Address to the Us Postal Service? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting US Postal Service if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for US Postal Service Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like US Postal Service in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Submit a Change of Address to the Us Postal Service? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.

US Postal Service

Asked 2 years ago
Viewed 783,148 times
US Postal Service
Change of Address
US Postal Service customer service
address changes
report an address change
Change of Address

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

I changed my address to ***** in Feb **** but I haven't got my stimulus check from Bayt...
Hey try to call an agent to see if the same item for the new tracking number is sending...
I've changed my address from**** E Phil-Ellena St, Philadelphia PA *****, to ***** Germ...
Was doing a change of address online and when got to payment page it took the money off...
I was trying to do a change of address from and got to the payment page and it took mon...
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!