With Virgin Mobile, the mobile phones are not necessarily locked to any network. However, your phone may be locked if you purchased it directly from Virgin. If that is the case, you cannot use it with any other mobile service provider. A locked phone can be a huge inconvenience if you need to go abroad. The roaming fees can be very high.
How to Confirm if Your Device is Network Locked
1. Turn your phone off
2. Get your Virgin SIM card out
3. Insert a different, non-virgin SIM card
4. Turn your phone back on
5. Your phone should indicate if it is locked
Requesting an Unlock Code
To get your unlock code, you may contact Virgin Mobile through their customer support. Follow these steps to request your unlock code.
1. You may speak directly with a customer care representative by contacting them on the phone. Another option to contact them is through their website. When you are connected with a representative, ask them for the unlock code of your mobile phone. Even though they are not obligated to help you, they are likely to do it. If you do not get the code, you can purchase one.
2. On your mobile device, request for the International Mobile Equipment Identification (IMEI) number. It is a 15-digit code that may be used to identify your phone.
3. Purchase your unlock code from a store that sells them. There are plenty of them and you can easily find one online.
4. Enter your IMEI number into the website. Select your phone model from the drop-down menus. After choosing Virgin Mobile as your service provide, you can enter your PayPal or credit card information and your email address.
5. Get the unlock code from your email and write it down
6. Turn your phone off and take the SIM card out. Insert a SIM card from a different network and turn your phone on again
7. When you receive a message requesting an unlock code, enter the code that you received through email. When you press 'Okay,' your phone should restart. The name of the new network should be displayed at the top of the screen.
Once you enter the code, your device may completely unlock in 15 minutes to 48 hours. If members of the customer support team are unable to give you your unlock code, they may retrieve it from a manufacturer in five business days.
What Do You Need to Unlock Your Mobile Phone
1. The device you intend to unlock
2. Your account in good standing
3. The IMEI number of your mobile phone
4. A non-virgin SIM card which fits your device
If you run into any problems after you have successfully unlocked your Apple device, follow these steps;
1. Make sure that your device is turned on and that you are within the network coverage area of Virgin Mobile
2. Back your phone up
3. Restore your phone to factory settings
4. Restore it from a backup
For Android Devices
1. Make sure that you keep your SIM card in the device. Your unlock request will fail if you remove or replace it
2. Ensure that your device is powered on and that you are within the network coverage area of Virgin Mobile
3. When you receive a notification that your device is unlocked, check the UICC unlock as;
UICC Unlock: Settings > System > System updates. UICC unlock. You may also search for UICC Unlock in the settings option
If you need help unlocking your Virgin Mobile phone, you may contact Virgin Mobile on the phone, the help desk, Twitter, and email.