Virginia residents that want to apply for unemployment benefits may be wondering how to do that exactly. If that describes you, we understand. We are here to assist you. This article will take you through the process of applying step-by-step so you know exactly what to do. Are you ready to move forward? Very good. Let's do it:
1. You are required to earn a minimum of $3,000 in Virginia during two-quarters of what's known as your "base period" if you would like to apply for unemployment benefits. You will immediately be eligible to receive unemployment benefits, however, if your application is approved.
2. Virginia provides claimants with between $60 and $378 per week. The amount that people are eligible for depends on what their earnings were. However, it is important to note that $378 is the absolute maximum that you are eligible for in the state of Virginia.
3. You are able to get unemployment benefits for 12 to 26 weeks in the state of Virginia. This is dependent upon your specific situation. Also, in 2020, there was a law passed called the federal CARES act that extends this by an additional 13 weeks.
4. The law of Virginia stipulates that you are eligible for unemployment only if you lost your job through no fault of your own. This is important to keep in mind as you are filing your application.
5. If you would like to apply for unemployment benefits in the beautiful state of Virginia, you'll want to gather up the following items: your checking or your savings account information if you would like to be paid through a direct deposit, DD #214 Form (for those that were in the military within the last 2 years), information on any applicable severance pay you may have received (if that is applicable), complete employment history for the last 18 months, the address where you get your mail currently, your prior employer's contact number, your most recent wage information, your driver's license number or your identification number, an alien registered identification number or registration number (if you're not a US citizen), the specific reason you lost your job, your email, your phone number, your social security number, and your home address.
6. You will be able to apply online or via the Virginia customer contact center after you have gathered all of the items listed above.
7. You can file an appeal within 30 days of the exact date the determination letter was mailed to you that mentioned your denial. You can submit your appeal by fax, online or by mail.
8. If you would like further guidance on your unemployment application, please visit our dedicated contact page for the Virginia Employment Commission. We will put you in touch with a human who will be able to properly assist you.
After thousands of Virginia Employment Commission customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Apply for Unemployment Benefits with the Virginia Employment Commission? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Virginia Employment Commission if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Virginia Employment Commission in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Apply for Unemployment Benefits with the Virginia Employment Commission? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Our free concierge service can find the best deals across telecom providers in your new zip code and making sure your services arrive on the same day. Talk to a live person seconds from now who can do price comparisons for you and get a date that works for you!Call Toll-Free: 888-959-6783Our service is unaffiliated and thus can compare plans across many providers and schedule multiple technicians