Residents of the great state of Virginia have the right to claim unemployment benefits under certain conditions. This guide is designed to help you navigate the process of filing a claim with simple, step-by-step instructions. Are you ready to proceed further? Excellent. Let's begin:
1. In the state of Virginia, you are required to have earned at least $3,000 during two-quarters of your "base period." After you apply to the Virginia Employment Commission and your application is accepted, you will immediately be able to receive your unemployment benefits.
2. You qualify for between $60 per week and $378 per week in Virginia depending on your earnings from your base period. No matter what your earnings were, however, $378 is the maximum anyone would be eligible for in Virginia.
3. You can receive unemployment benefits for between 12 and 26 weeks depending on your specific situation in Virginia. The federal CARES act also extends this an additional 13 weeks in 2020.
4. If you lost your job, it is very important that the reason for losing your job was not your fault. This is a rule from the state of Virginia. If you lost your job because you didn't pass a drug test or because you weren't following directions, you will not qualify for unemployment benefits, unfortunately.
5. If you want to be able to claim unemployment benefits in Virginia, please be sure to put together this list of items: the specific reason you lost your job, your email, your phone number, your social security number, your checking or your savings account information if you would like to be paid through a direct deposit, DD #214 Form (if you were in the military within the last 2 years), information on any applicable severance pay you may have received (if that is applicable), complete employment history for the last 18 months, the address where you get your mail currently, your prior employer's contact number, your most recent wage information, your driver's license number or your identification number, home address, and an alien registered identification number or registration number (if you're not a US citizen).
6. After you have prepared all of the information in #5 above, you will be able to call the Virginia customer contact center or apply online.
7. If you happen to have your claim denied, you can appeal the decision by mail, fax or online. You can do so within 30 days of the date the letter with the denial determination was mailed out to you.
8. To receive further help with your claim, you can use this special contact page to contact the Virginia Employment Commission. We put people like you directly in touch with a human who can help you.
After thousands of Virginia Employment Commission customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Virginia Employment Commission? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Virginia Employment Commission if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Virginia Employment Commission in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Claim Unemployment Benefits with the Virginia Employment Commission? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Call our Free Concierge and we will compare service and plans in your new home area and schedule all setup for the same day- free of charge! Get a better deal on all your services in 1 call, and let us make scheduling easy for you.Call Now: 888-959-6783Our concierge is unaffiliated and therefore able to compare deals (and schedule) across many companies