How Do I Change My Name of My Birth Certificate with Vitalchek?

When you need to change the name on your birth certificate, you can request the change online through VitalChek. The certificate must have been issued in Louisiana, Maine or Oklahoma for you to make the request through VitalChek. Corrections and amendments typically take 7-10 business days to process.

VitalChek is a premier online portal to order official government records from your home rather than standing in line at the agency. For over 30 years, it has had the distinction of being the only external processor authorized by governments throughout the United States. As with all agencies, however, the information they convey is only as good as what is provided to them. If you are ordering your birth certificate through VitalChek and notice an error, you want to get it cleared up as quickly as possible. How do you change the name of your birth certificate with VitalChek? You can get assistance from VitalChek customer support here, and below are steps to take to update your birth certificate.

Changing Your Name on Your Birth Certificate through VitalChek

When requesting a change through VitalChek, it's important to know the difference between an amendment and a correction. Each is discussed below.


Amendments are usually more complicated than data entry errors or misspellings, and they have certain requirements. Amendments usually include adding a father's name or other vital information to the birth certificate. They are typically made within the first year of the certificate being issued. The following must be done to request an amendment:

  1. In your search engine, search for VitalChek amendments. Open the website for making amendments or corrections.
  2. Click on "Start Order."
  3. The following states will allow you to amend your birth certificate through VitalChek: Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Maine.
  4. Click on the state that issued the birth certificate.
  5. Read the information that appears on the screen for the state you choose and click "Continue."
  6. Choose whether you wish to amend your own certificate or your child's.
  7. Enter your current legal name (or your child's legal name).
  8. Complete the form that appears and select "Continue."
  9. Select the information that needs to be amended on the form that appears and then click "Continue."
  10. Confirm that what you need corrected and hit "Continue."
  11. Enter how your name should be on the certificate and select "Continue." Confirm the correction on the next page and hit "Continue."
  12. Select the number of copies you need.
  13. Enter your mailing information and payment information and select "Continue" to process your request.
  14. It usually takes 7-10 business days to process your request. You may have to submit some additional paperwork to complete the amendment process.


Corrections are typically made when a name has been misspelled or a middle name was left off the certificate. Correction requests follow the same steps as amendment requests and may also require follow-up documentation to complete the correction.

When submitting a request for an amendment or correction through VitalChek, your order can be processed quickly by following the steps above. For more information and assistance, contact VitalChek customer support here.

How Do I Change My Name of My Birth Certificate with Vitalchek?

Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Change My Name of My Birth Certificate with Vitalchek?"?

After thousands of VitalChek customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Change My Name of My Birth Certificate with Vitalchek? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting VitalChek if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.

Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for VitalChek Problems?

GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like VitalChek in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Change My Name of My Birth Certificate with Vitalchek? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.


Asked a year ago
Updated 2 months ago
Viewed 75,330 times
birth certificate
change name

What customers are saying about this and similar problems

I I placed an order with vita check and I missed the delivery I am at work and I cannot...
Can I change from the free shipping to the airmail?
Can I change from the free shipping to the airmail?
i still have not gotten my birth certificate yet *********
i still have not gotten my birth certificate yet
Was this page helpful? If so, please share!
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!