Contenthtml How Can I Recover Permanently Deleted Whatsapp Messages?
With the advent of online messengers like WhatsApp, Viber and Facebook, sms messages are slowly losing their importance. However, old issues still continue to hold relevance. When you want to restore your WhatsApp chats, you need to conduct some complex procedures, which do not always give positive results.
In What Cases Can a WhatsApp Chat or Message Be Deleted?
In many cases, chat history on WhatsApp disappears due to:
- Accidental deletion due to the inconvenience of touchscreens. E.g., clicking on Delete Chat button instead of the Add Conversation tab.
- Reflashing a smartphone: Any data saved in the internal memory of the device is lost permanently.
- Changing a smartphone: You will need to reinstall WhatsApp messenger, and as a result all messages will be lost.
Fortunately, it is possible to recover permanently deleted WhatsApp messages. Read on to know more.
How to Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Messages the Standard Way
All WhatsApp messages and chats are securely stored in backups. These backups are made automatically on your phone each day following a schedule.
The easiest way to recover old WhatsApp messages is perhaps to delete the WhatsApp application and reinstall it. After confirming your verification number you will be offered an option to restore a backup copy stored on Google Drive or simply import a local file using your chat history.
How to Recover Messages Using Google Drive
After you have launched your messenger for the first time, WhatsApp recommends enabling the function for backing up data on Google Drive.
Accordingly, the simplest and most obvious way to recover messages is from a file saved on Google Drive. To recover messages from this cloud:
- After you have installed WhatsApp on your phone, open the app and confirm your phone number. The number needs to be the same as the one you used before.
- Choose the method of recovering in the Restore Chat History window and tap on Restore.
Were You Unable to Find a Backup Copy?
Failing to find a backup copy can happen because:
- You are not using the same Google account you used before on WhatsApp.
- You have confirmed a mobile phone number which wasn't the one you previously used in the messenger.
- Your memory card has been corrupted or there are errors inhibiting the file containing WhatsApp messages from opening.
- There are no backup copies for messages on the phone's memory card.
How to Restore WhatsApp Messages From a Local File
If restoring from Google Drive is not an option because you did not connect your Google Drive account to your messenger, there's still something you can do. You can recover WhatsApp chats from a local file.
Message backup files are normally kept in /sdcard/WhatsApp/. Given that you cannot find them there, check your phone's internal memory. If you still cannot find them there, you have permanently deleted them. To retrieve a deleted chat history for WhatsApp using a local file follow these steps:
- Install a file manager like ES Explorer or TotalCMD on your device.
- Open the folder labeled sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. All backups for messages are kept there. If no files are available, look at the main storage too.
- Choose the file you wish to recover from the list you see. The format should look like msgstore-YYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12. Rename the file to msgstore.db.crypt12.
- Uninstall WhatsApp Messenger from your phone and reinstall it afresh by downloading the newest version of the app from Google Play or a web browser.
- Confirm the mobile phone number you used before with the other WhatsApp version.
- Navigate to Restore chat history and tap Restore. Old chats will be imported and you will be able to view deleted messages.
It is important to note that permanently deleted WhatsApp messages can only be recovered only if you have enabled backing up when setting up the app for the first time. For more help, you can contact the WhatsApp Help-desk.
Why Did GetHuman Write "Contenthtml How Can I Recover Permanently Deleted Whatsapp Messages?"?
After thousands of WhatsApp customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together Contenthtml How Can I Recover Permanently Deleted Whatsapp Messages? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting WhatsApp if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for WhatsApp Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like WhatsApp in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our Contenthtml How Can I Recover Permanently Deleted Whatsapp Messages? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Asked a month ago
What customers are saying about this and similar problems
************* *** **** ****, ** ********* ***.
The phone is saying "Can't place call because the number is not registered on WhatsApp...
Salam oi mangkung Asl ban wsp Aku
hi sir my whatssap is banned can u all open it back bcoz my contact in whatssap all blo...
What App not working get *days