How Do I Get My Old Whatsapp Account Back?
WhatsApp has a user base of more than one billion users and it is among the most popular messaging services in the world. This app has many added features that make it easy for people to communicate to their friends easily as long as they have an internet connection and it also allows users to easily transfer their WhatsApp accounts from one mobile phone to another.
When you buy a new phone or change to a new SIM card, you might not want to lose some of your WhatsApp messages. Fortunately, you can be able to get your old WhatsApp account back and access your conversations by using the phone number of that old account.
How to Get Your Old WhatsApp Account without Changing the SIM
To get your old account back, follow these steps:
- On your phone, go to the settings application and proceed to installed apps.
- On the list of installed apps, search for WhatsApp.
- When you find WhatsApp, tap it and then choose Clear data.
- You will be asked yes or no. Choose Yes.
- Open your WhatsApp again.
- You'll be required to enter your phone number. Input your old account's phone number.
- WhatsApp will ask for One True Pairing (OTP). You'll receive OTP on the same number you've input, so your old sim card should be active at this time.
- Input OTP and choose next.
- Enter your account name and now you have your old WhatsApp account.
How to Get Your Old WhatsApp Account by Changing Your Number
You can also opt to change your number, but still have access to your old account if you have a new phone with a new number. Begin the process with the Change Number feature on the old phone, and then finish by reinstalling WhatsApp messenger on the new phone.
On your old mobile phone:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Choose More Options.
- Tap on Settings.
- Select Account.
- Choose Change Number.
- Enter your old phone number, the one that is currently connected to your old WhatsApp account, in the field labeled old phone number.
- Enter the new phone number you want to use from now on in the field labeled new phone number.
- A verification code will be sent to your new phone number and you should verify it.
- If you also want to transfer your WhatsApp chat history, make a backup by opening WhatsApp > choose More Options > go to Settings > tap on Chats > choose Chat backup > enable Google Drive backup because you'll be moving to a new device.
On your new mobile phone:
- If you hadn't backed up your WhatsApp chat history on Google Drive, you will have to transfer your backup manually.
- Download and install the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Verify the new number once more.
- Restore your chat history backup.
After you have successfully changed your number, you can notify your contacts about the number change so that they can save your new number on their address books. This will allow you to have a seamless chatting experience.
Note that a WhatsApp account can be temporarily deleted if you send too many messages to "unknown" users (people who do not have your phone number on their phone address books). As a result, you should tell your friends, family members or colleagues to save your new contact details to avoid issues.
The Change Number feature on WhatsApp allows you to transfer your account information, groups and other settings from the old phone number to a new one. Once the number has been changed, the WhatsApp account linked to your old mobile number will be deleted.
If you experience any issues while trying to access your old WhatsApp account, you can contact WhatsApp's technical support team for more information.
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Get My Old Whatsapp Account Back?"?
After thousands of WhatsApp customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Get My Old Whatsapp Account Back? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting WhatsApp if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for WhatsApp Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like WhatsApp in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Get My Old Whatsapp Account Back? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.