Slow download speed and games on Xbox can be very frustrating. The common signs include slow installations. You may also notice that the progress bar on your download has not advanced in a long time. It may be difficult for you to connect to your network. Fortunately, it is possible to troubleshoot the problems and get back normal speed. The following steps may help you determine whether there is a problem with your network and to improve the speed of your downloads.
Checking Your Download Speed
1. Navigate to the option 'Installing' for the game title you are trying to download
2. Go to the 'Queue' section on 'My Games & Apps.'
3. Check the download speed of your game or app. If it is too slow, it may be the cause of your slow download. If the download speed is okay, you may be experiencing a different problem.
When connected to Xbox Live, your connection speed should be at least 1.5 Mb/s.
Close Running Games in the Background
If a game is running at the background, it may affect your download speed. For the best experience, you should close all running games. If a game is running, all your downloads will be constrained to improve your gaming experience. You may force your game to close or wait for Xbox to close it. Follow these steps to force your games to close.
1. Go to the Home screen
2. Navigate to the game you run most recently
3. Click on the button 'Menu' and then 'Quit.'
After closing the game, check the download speed of your game or app again. Wait until your download is complete to launch apps or games.
Cancel Your Installation and Reinstall it
If your installation is still slow, consider canceling your installation and restarting it. You can do that by following these steps.
1. Navigate to the 'Home' screen
2. Click on the option 'My Games & Apps'
3. Select 'Queue' and click on the app or game you wish to download
4. Press the 'Menu' button on the controller
5. Select 'Cancel'
Try reinstalling your game or app. Find your game in Microsoft Store and then the option 'Install.' After re-starting your installation, check the download speed again to ensure that the problem has been solved.
Restart Your Console
1. Press the Xbox button and hold it
2. Click on the option 'Restart console'
3. Select 'Restart.' This option will pause all your ongoing downloads. When you restart your console, they should resume.
After restarting your console, you can confirm that your downloads have resumed by following these steps.
If your download has resumed, check the download speed and confirm that it is okay. Do not launch any games or apps until your download is complete.
If, after all attempts, you are still unable to resolve the problem of slow download speeds, you should contact the customer support team for help. They may help you identify problems with your network and resolve them. Check your wireless network connection and your console's network connection.
You may also get help from Xbox's vibrant community. They may provide valuable tips to prevent similar problems in the future. You may contact Xbox via phone, their help desk, Live Chat, email, and their social media platforms. You will be connected to an expert who will guide you through the process.