How Do I Recover My Hacked Yahoo Email Account?
When your Yahoo email account is hacked, you might not be able to access it, but there are some measures you can take to recover and secure it successfully by following these helpful tips.
Yahoo Mail is among the biggest email services in the world we live in today. But email accounts do get hacked by malicious persons sometimes if they are not secured properly. When your Yahoo email account is hacked, you might not be able to access it, but there are some measures you can take to recover and secure it successfully. You can do so either via your phone number or recovery email ID.
Recovering a Hacked Email Account
To recover your account via a Desktop, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Yahoo.com via your PC's web browser or open the Yahoo app on your phone.
- On Yahoo's main page, press Sign in (on the upper-right corner).
- Click on the link labeled Difficulty signing in? (It's below the Next button).
- Enter the mobile phone number or the recovery email address that is registered in your Yahoo email account.
You can also simply input your Yahoo email ID here given that you are not sure about the information you have availed to Yahoo.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Retrieve a verification code. Choose Yes, text me an account key if you have entered your mobile phone number or choose Yes, send me an account key if you've used your recovery email, then do this:
- For a phone number, go to your phone's message application and open the message sent by Yahoo. Review the code you see.
- For a recovery email address, open the inbox of this email account and click on the email sent by Yahoo. Review the code you find.
- If you opted to enter your Yahoo email ID, input the missing numbers/letters from the listed recovery options and then follow any of the above mentioned sub-steps about a phone number and recovery email address.
- Enter the 8-charater verification code into the text box you see at the center of the page.
- Click on Verify.
- If you happen to have several Yahoo email accounts that use the same phone number or recovery email, choose the one you wish to recover.
- Reset your password immediately to avoid being hacked in the future.
On the Success page, click on Create a new password > enter a new password twice > press Continue > choose Looks good > press I'll secure my account later.
How to Secure Your Yahoo Email Account
- Login to your Yahoo account.
- Click on your name (upper-right side of the page).
- On the drop-down menu that appears, click on Account Info.
- Select Recent activity (on the left corner of the page).
- Near the top part of the page look for a list that shows all your account's currently logged in locations. If your email account has been hacked and the attacker is still signed in, you will be able to see their location on that list.
- Log out of any unrecognized locations.
- Proceed to Account security (on the left hand side of the page).
- Scroll down and select the two-step verification switch. This feature makes it difficult for hackers to access your account.
- In the pop-up window that appears, enter the phone number you wish to use in setting up the two-step verification feature.
- Select Send SMS (at the bottom part of the pop-up window). This will prompt Yahoo to send you a text to your phone number.
If you want to get the verification code through a phone call instead, click on Call me.
- Go to the Messages app on your Phone to retrieve your verification code, or wait for Yahoo to call you instead if you chose the Call me option.
- Enter the verification code and click verify.
- Choose Skip for now. By doing so you are confirming your decision to activate the two-step verification feature in your accounts.
Help from Real People
We partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert now.Chat With A Help Expert
Why Did GetHuman Write "How Do I Recover My Hacked Yahoo Email Account?"?
After thousands of Yahoo customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Recover My Hacked Yahoo Email Account? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Yahoo if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
Why does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Yahoo Problems?
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Yahoo in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Recover My Hacked Yahoo Email Account? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.