Whether you want to change the name on your Yahoo account, or simply update the recovery details, Yahoo has you covered. You can easily update your personal information like picture, name, birthday or gender, and also change the account security settings.
How to Update Your Yahoo Account Picture
Personalize your account by adding a photo from your desktop computer or a mobile app. You can upload a picture in .jpeg, .jpg and .png format so long as it is has a maximum size of 5MB and a minimum of 192x192 pixels.
Update Photo Using a Yahoo App
- Open the Yahoo app on your phone.
- Select the Sidebar Icon
- Go to Manage Accounts.
- Choose Account info.
- Tap on the camera image on top of your name.
- Pick a photo from your image library or simply take a new one.
- If needed, crop the chosen picture.
- Tap on Choose to pick your account photo.
Update Photo Using a Web Browser
- Go to yahoo.com on your web browser of choice.
- Open the Yahoo Personal Info page.
- Click on the camera image positioned above your account name.
- Select a suitable picture from your image library.
- Edit the picture by cropping or rotating.
- Click on Crop and save to choose your account picture.
How to Update Your First, Last and Display Name
Depending on the Yahoo product, your account name/nickname appears at the top of the page. It might be visible to other users on this platform. E.g. your name appears next to any comment you post on Yahoo News.
- Open the Yahoo Personal Info page.
- On the top right corner, choose Edit.
- Edit your account name/nickname.
- On the top right side click on Done.
You can also change the sending name in new emails that is displayed to the recipients of your mail.
- Sign in to New Mail.
- Go to Settings menu icon.
- Select Mailboxes.
- Choose the account you wish to edit.
- Under Your Name, delete or edit the sending name.
- Choose Save.
How to Update a Wrong Birthday or Gender Listed on Your Account
For security purposes, on your Yahoo account you cannot update or edit the date of birth, even if you input a wrong date the first time you created the account. You will need to register a new Yahoo account if you want the account to showcase your accurate birthday.
On the other hand, it is possible to correct a wrongly listed gender:
- Sing in to your account and go to the Account Info page.
- On the top right side choose Edit.
- On the Gender field, simply update your information.
- Choose Done.
How to Set Up and Manage the Yahoo Account Key
Are you tired of having to remember and manage multiple passwords? The Yahoo Account Key offers more security and allows you to use your phone rather than a password to log in. Once the feature has been enabled, Yahoo will send a notification to your chosen mobile device. You can approve access by just tapping on your phone screen, so nobody else can access your account
You should have a minimum of one Yahoo application installed on your phone and be signed into it.
- Go to yahoo.com on a web browser and login to your account.
- Open the security page on your Yahoo account.
- Choose See how it works.
- Select the device and app you want to be notified on.
- Tap on send me a notification. (A notification will be sent to the app you have picked).
- On your phone, tap on the Approve icon.
- On the web browser, select Always use Yahoo Account Key.
- Finally, confirm your phone number, which will be used in case you lose access to your chose mobile device.
After thousands of Yahoo customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together How Do I Update My Account Information on Yahoo? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Yahoo if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this page.
GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Yahoo in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our How Do I Update My Account Information on Yahoo? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.